What do you think makes a good TD?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Lol Karawasa :p

A good thing for a TD would be no perfect strategy. I stop playing maps when I find the perfect Strategy/Build/Combo/Order/whatever you want to call it. Make it have variety, but not too much.

Maybe make the creeps vary, and not always the same. Give them their own custom touch. If it's an Ice creep, maybe make it slow tower's attack rate by a tiny bit. If it's a wisp, make it move fast, or something similar :D.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Make it so that creeps are not the same kind in each round, like different creeps for each round, their HP ranges from 12 to 40000. Armor is ranged 0 to 10000

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
That would be... a lot of difference. Depending on the attack of towers, if they are expected to take down 40k hp, with 10k armor, then the rest would be way too easy.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice ideas here.
In my opinion...
Element TD is better than Ryoko TD
I hope that doesn't get me banned :D

I think a lot of this is good stuff :D

Tooltips really make a TD that much better or worse though.
Seeing rubbish tooltips really puts you off :p

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
What Makes a Tower Defense map good?

Well, I'm not good at making TD's, but here are good ideas.

1) Use custom models for towers. Most TD's use the preset models. Use custom models (not necessarily for all towers, I mean most towers in the TD, as this might allow a huge filesize to escalate)

2) Use custom music, I mean MIDI's!! This helps players have a better/realistic feel for a TD, like in the final boss level you could use a song like Metallica; Enter Sandman to make it feel that a gruesome and terrible enemy is coming near. MP3/WAV to MIDI conversion can be done by Intelliscore or a program like that.

Here is the link on how to use midis in Wc3.

3) Use custom icons to make them more eye-catching when a player clicks that icon in a builder's command card.

4) Create special attributes for your towers. like when a tower dies it sort of releases a nova or something, or when two different/similar towers are built near each other you can fuse those towers to make a new different kind of tower between those towers, or one of the towers themselves, although this is very difficult to do in the WE.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
2) Use custom music, I mean MIDI's!! This helps players have a better/realistic feel for a TD, like in the final boss level you could use a song like Metallica; Enter Sandman to make it feel that a gruesome and terrible enemy is coming near. MP3/WAV to MIDI conversion can be done by Intelliscore or a program like that.

Don't import midis, the tutorial did explains that playing midis needs to have all computers with the same settings set up in order to hear the music.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
What Makes a Tower Defense map good?

Well, I'm not good at making TD's, but here are good ideas.

1) Use custom models for towers. Most TD's use the preset models. Use custom models (not necessarily for all towers, I mean most towers in the TD, as this might allow a huge filesize to escalate)

3) Use custom icons to make them more eye-catching when a player clicks that icon in a builder's command card.

Honestly, these are all terrible ideas.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, all customs would make TD a lot difficult.

Just plain basic TD. Simple rounds, simple creeps of one kind, simple gameplay, doesn't need to add features, small file size, and simple creativity.

Just simple enoughas much as the online flash game: Tower Defence.

It has got a fan base, since it is so simple.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone :D

Overdone TD's are annoying.

Custom models can also be very annoying. They take up a lot of space. and if they don't, they're USUALLY rubbish.

I also hate tower's with ability/projectile models which are extremely annoying to click.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Custom models can also be very annoying. They take up a lot of space. and if they don't, they're USUALLY rubbish.

Agreed. IMO, the usual models you should use are ones that use ingame textures because that takes up a lot of space and a lot of times, more or even much more than the model itself.

TDs are nice. I just like ones that aren't too complex and don't have too many lanes.

Mittsies

Reaction score
I've played at least couple hundred different Tower Defenses, as well as making my own maul wars called Shadowmaul Wars. The one major thing I've noticed is that the game generally requires no skill. All you do is flap your towers down and spam summon the hell out creeps to send to enemies, or just let your towers kill everything while you slowly make more towers.

Once you've got down the basic idea of a maze, you can't possibly lose based on skill. It's all luck or trail & error from there on out. Basically the only way you can be good or bad at almost any TD is to not know what the best towers / best maze pattern is; there's no real factor of player skill that makes a huge difference. No skill required equals no fun (IMO)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
...So... TD's are boring?

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.