What the heck happened to useful interfaces?

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
I just spent like 10 minutes figuring out how to watch video files in WMP 11.
Seriously, why are they doing things like taking out the file menu?

It applies to just about ever aspect of the computer. I also recently spent like 4 hours dealing with a bugged codec dll. Thank you Microsoft for not having the old 'click this to uninstall so-and-so file' buttons anymore, or useful 'you need this to do this' messages. Turns out my compy didn't register the codec properly until WMP 11 was dl'd (this took a LONG time to find out, because I dl'd the codec which had the dll completely unaware that it required WMP 11, cuz it didn't say on the dl page), and I was able to remove the codec.

Seriosuly, what is happening? Why are the useful interface buttons dissapearing on newer programs?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Lately Microsoft has been changing the interface on almost all of their products. Look at the latest version of Explorer and Office. The only reason I can see for these kinds of screw ups is that Bill Gates is not really handling the day to day stuff over there anymore.

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
What are you talking about, hacing trouble playing videos in WMP 11? Ha ha ha, I have it. It's much easier to use than 9 in every single way, and about on par with 10, except it's prettier. You have to click a button to display different kinds of media, it's pretty straightforward.

As for the codec, that's silly that the page didn't tell you. What codec was it, out of curiousity?

Tonks

Reaction score
What are you talking about, hacing trouble playing videos in WMP 11? Ha ha ha, I have it. It's much easier to use than 9 in every single way, and about on par with 10, except it's prettier. You have to click a button to display different kinds of media, it's pretty straightforward.

As for the codec, that's silly that the page didn't tell you. What codec was it, out of curiousity?

Mine does this weird thing where it won't have the button to switch to video mode, so it plays my movies' audio, but not the video. It takes several restarts of it to get it to work. Kind of annoying.

I know what you mean, uber. I'm sticking with Windows XP and the Classic Style interface.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I got WMP11 ages back. And I think that it's fine in every single way. It's way more organised and I no longer need to have 'My Documents' up at the same time to show people images.

It took me about 2 minutes to figure it all out.
Only downside being that all the skins from WMP10 have gone from mine :(

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> It's way more organised

Until about there, I thought WMP would stand for "Windows Media Player".
Can't possibly be though...

The latest WMP is the top hit on lists like "Wtf?", "Least usable program ever", "Most confusing layout ever", ... and several others along the same lines.

I've never spent that much time in "help" for all other programs I ever used combined than just for this one single program.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.