Win/Mac/Linux on one machine? :D

warcraft7

Reaction score
i plan to eventually build a custom PC so just wondering, gamer here so ill end up with windows as my main but would it be possible to install the 3 major OSes if i were to get 3 hard drives? sorry PC noob here.

So id guess keeping the windows hard drive as the master and the other 2 as slaves? case has like 12 slots for misc things so i got plenty of room.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's possible to install Mac OS on a typical PC machine. But I know next to nothing about Mac, so I can't be sure.
In principle, there is nothing to stop you from doing what you describe, but you might have to be careful about bootloader wars that may ensue as a result.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
you don't even need 3 hard drives, you can partition 1 hard drive to have 4 partitions and install each one on a seperate partition - the 4th partition is for a bootloader that lets you choose which of the 3 OS's you would like to boot into, and I would recommend installing them in this order: Mac OS, followed by windows, followed by linux and then using the linux bootloader.

also, the master/slave thing is a thing of the past where IDE drives were used (those with the very wide cable), and only because the cable was so large and wide, 2 drives shared the same cable - newer drives just use sata cables and each drive has their own cable.

edit: and for the mac OS, you need to check what parts you buy if they are mac-compatible or not (aka if apple has drivers for them or not), this is a good site for that

I should also mention that it would be illegal to sell a custom built computer with Mac OS installed on it

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Whys that? =/ and ya...ive only put old PCs together lol

ask Apple - it's in their EULA on mac OS, and they will sue you if you try (or if you do it enough to where they care) - maybe because then people would realize how overpriced the mac hardware is and force apple to reduce their profit margins?

warcraft7

Reaction score
well duh everyone knows that...although thed make plenty of money off just selling their OS to people...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.