Sci/Tech Windows 8.1 set to bring back the Start button

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Microsoft is preparing to revive the traditional Start button it killed with Windows 8. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed to The Verge that Windows 8.1 will include the return of the Start button. We understand that the button will act as a method to simply access the Start Screen, and will not include the traditional Start Menu. The button is said to look near-identical to the existing Windows flag used in the Charm bar.

Microsoft's change of heart follows another recent planned change for Windows 8.1: a boot to desktop option. We understand Microsoft will add an option to allow users to boot directly to the traditional desktop environment in future builds of the upcoming Windows 8 upgrade. Most internal builds of Windows 8.1 do not include the Start button or boot to desktop options, but Microsoft is said to be planning how to add these into the operating system. ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley previously reported on Microsoft's plans to bring back the Start button and a boot to desktop option.

The death of the traditional Start button in Windows 8 was one of a number of controversial changes introduced with Microsoft's latest operating system. In our review of Windows 8 we called the new navigation changes "a steep learning curve," and feedback on the Start button removal has been mixed. 1.5 million downloads of Pokki, a Start Menu replacement, and other similar tools suggest that Windows 8 users still want the Start button and Start Menu. Microsoft explained away its removal using data it gathered from the company's Customer Experience Improvement Program, but we understand the return in Windows 8.1 is due to customer feedback. We may see the Start button return in the upcoming Windows 8.1 Public Preview, if not expect to see it in the final version due later this year.

Source. (The Verge)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Was a bad choice to remove them in the first place. I just dont see why they thought about removing them. They didnt "get" anything from it. They could have just added a function to hide it or something.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Was a bad choice to remove them in the first place. I just dont see why they thought about removing them. They didnt "get" anything from it. They could have just added a function to hide it or something.

People vote with their wallets, and Microsoft decides to embrace the votes. I wished EA would do the same.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a good thing though that they actually do something. I mean, they made a mistake, but they are eager to change things for the better over time.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I would actually prefer without the Start button :(

You know Microsoft has lots of programmers. They could have simply made the Start Button an option. If you wanted it you could turn it on and if not turn it off. Good to see Microsoft at least listening to its customers.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
You know Microsoft has lots of programmers. They could have simply made the Start Button an option. If you wanted it you could turn it on and if not turn it off. Good to see Microsoft at least listening to its customers.

Have they confirmed that hiding the Start button is an option?

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Why Microsoft would want no option to go back
  • Consistency
  • The new start menu, does the same thing. Bigger icons. different feel.
  • Drive "Metro" eco system (Apps run slate, laptop, desktop, with touch, in app store)
Why I don't mind there is no option to go back.
  • Bigger Icons for me to open app.
  • I prefer to organize my apps on the new start menu and remove the ones I don't care for, that I can easily add back.
  • The new start menu, does the same thing. Bigger icons. different feel.
  • Drive "Metro" eco system , (more options for my slate)
Why there should be in option to go back.
  • Learning curve
  • New things scare people
  • Its my Computer why should I have to do it the new way. The old way wasn't a problem.
  • I don't want to do additional training or train someone.
  • If the demand is that high, you should give them what they want. Its one thing to push a new generation, and be willing to iqnore some customers, but when its near 50% are not willing to even try the new way, or have and hate it, it means you gota give them the option.
Differences
  • One has big icons, what has small (One is more readable and bigger icon, other Is less)
  • One you go though folders, the other you move the screen to your right
  • One has a button on the screen instead of the windows key to bring it up
  • One is new, One is current.
  • One is easy to remove items, and add them later, one is not
  • Both can be organized, either by folder, or by section on the screen.
  • One exposes control panel the other hides it. (In my mind a Very good thing)
  • Both can turn off and reset machine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.