WoW game addiction is not a mental illness...

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
It's also something that has to do with self-control.

Just like eating.
Gaming, to my understanding, has become a retreat for me over the school years. When I become depressed, I'd run off and play video games after school. I rarely do regularly, and I wish I could just admit that I have time to do something meaningful with that "I don't care about life" time.
Video games and drugs get you away from reality for awhile, so you can just go away. It's an adolescent's anti-drug.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I guess it's an addictive hobby. Not just for MMORPG, or the computer itself, but maybe for other things too, like watching tv, exercising too much(yup), going out a lot, not being home, playing video games, etc.

I am mostly on the computer because I have nothing else to do :p If my parents tell me to take out the trash, or go to the store, or just do any errand, I'll do it. On the other hand, my brother is obsessed with the computer, and won't until his game is over, usually.
Sometimes it's good. I've learned plenty of things with the computer. I got it at the age of about... Who knows, but a lot before Kinder. I think my first game was Age of Empires, or some Star Wars demo.

It's because they might prefer their hobby (in this case MMORPG) over their real life. If they mess up, they can reset.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
Video games and drugs get you away from reality for awhile, so you can just go away.

So do sports, reading, movies, dancing, painting/drawing, constructing, and music.

Why are only video games getting attacked?

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
Online Game Addiction, especially on MMORPGs, are quite dangerous. It wastes time (I'm seeing from a student's perspective here) and money, while you shouldn't. My friend is a MMORPG addict, and when I introduced her to DotA, she asked :

-Do I need money to play the game?
-Do I need to pay to create a character?
-How many is the max. level?
-etc. MMORPG related questions :p
Then I quited teaching her DotA, she is too addicted to MMORPGs.

Anyway, I don't call any addiction to Video Games, Online Games, or MMORPGs (includes WoW) an illness, but it can be troublesome and it spreads so fast, now almost everyone in my class play DotA, peoples in the next class play RF (making the class the Kora's HQ, or something they say, I don't play RF so I don't understand)

Again, I'm looking from a student's perspective, so I say addiction is a nuissance, but not an illness or mental disorder. It's like you want it more and more and more :p

Reaction score
Disorders
Addictions
Complexes

Although modern psychiatry helps us to categorize human behavior and make valuable predictions and associations between causes, actions and effects, it is frequently being used to dehumanize and devalue people who simply do not mesh with a given set of norms.

The recent "internet addiction" hype is a good example. How many times has the label been used to denote, not so much damaging behavior but simply a reluctance to engage in "healthy" pursuits like sport and socialization? Why must a child have ADHD simply because he does not like his surroundings? How many employees are "narcissists" simply because they recognize their own excellence in that field?

The diagnostic criteria for so many conditions is too vague when the label alone is so damaging.

N

net2system

:D
hi yomick ,

Our Company training sessions for gamers is outlined as below :-
1 Place to train
For Semi-Pro : Online and Onsite training + Open Friendly matches.
For Pro : Onsite training + Open Friendly matches , our workshop.
2 Time practicing
For Semi-Pro : First session 2 times a week / 2hours each. Second session is 3/3 . Third Section 4/4 .Final session is competition. Each session is 2 month.
For Pro : First session 2 times a week / 3hours each. Second session is 3/4 . Third Section 4/5 .Final session is competition. Each session is 2 month.
3 Dota & CS , we train both games:rolleyes:
:cool::D

CatCat

Reaction score
um but um

so you do something because you "enjoy" it this means your brain is being stimulated. this stimulation is a reward system of the brain. the things that reward you the most is eating and having sex, But ordinary things such as reading, sporting, and playing games also give stimulations. the only difference is is that when you do too much of one thing your brain becomes "attached" to making it seem like you cannot live without it(but it is easier to stop being addicted than other things like drugs because of the low stimulation[the length of the usage is also taken in account]). But you can define anything as an Addiction E.G. there are tons of food addicts out there!
the best example is drugs, since drugs usually give out more stimulations that other normal items it is really easy to be aroused by it, thus making us "addicted".
Ironic isn't it? that our bodies respond just like robots, to some extent.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.