UK News Computer games to get cigarette-style health warnings

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Video games will be forced to carry cigarette-style health warnings under proposals to protect children from unsuitable digital material.

The report, commissioned by the Prime Minister in response to a growing moral panic about video games, will conclude that they can harm the development of children’s beliefs and value systems and desensitise them to violence. It will also recommend that retailers who sell video games to anyone under the age rating on the box should face a hefty fine or up to five years in prison, The Times has learnt.

The report, written by Tanya Byron, the clinical psychologist and television parenting guru, is also expected to address the dangers of children’s use of the internet.

“Parents are afraid to let their children out,” she said. “So they keep them at home, but allow them to take risks online.”

Find out more about this here.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> “Parents are afraid to let their children out,” she said.

I guess she forgot or doesn't want to remember that her predecessors, or even herself, are the very reason for this "afraid".
And now they want to repeat the same crap inside?
What's next?

Brave new world.

Turnip

Reaction score
These people seem to forget that millions upon millions of people in the world are gamers, and for the most part don't do a think. *twitch* Video games do not affect the mind at all. *twitch* *twitch* And the age rating on the box is just to warn parents about what *twitch* game they are potentially going to buy, it is not like it should be treated as a law. *twitch*

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
> It will also recommend that retailers who sell video games to anyone under the age rating on the box should face a hefty fine or up to five years in prison

Fine. Ask your brother to buy it for you.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Yes. And descendants of the idiots who burned books, and their authors.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> haven't a large portion of these anti-gaming campaigns failed?

Well, there's the ages old, tried and tested, and found working, idea of "just repeat it often enough, and some day people will believe it".

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
This is dumb. When will the people open their eyes and learn that if the parents don't care, their warnings will do no good.

There could be a mature rating on a video game but if the parent doesn't notice it, the label is just box art.

Fuck, I wish I could say that out in public just once. Wake everyone up to their stupidity.

neckface

terrain contest winner! :) dance contest loser. :(
Reaction score
Well as an adult who grew up playing hours upon hours of Super Mario Brothers on my NES, I can vouch for these safety campaigns. Everytime I see a turtle I jump on it, and I've broken both hands dozens of times jump-punching brick walls in vain attempts to earn coins. Also, my morals and values have eroded.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.