Mounting Tutorial

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
Attention: I am well aware that there is already a thread of this name, which in fact I had made. I felt it was important to repost this revised edition, because 1: the original post could not be edited, and 2:the edited version was on the last post, which can lead to confusion for readers.
Mounting Any Unit On Top of Any Unit​

This Tutorial tells you how to make any unit on top of a horse or any thing you want it to. It will also tell you how to make an ability that lets you mount two units together just like the mount Hippogryph Rider ability
This way, you don’t have to get a custom model and request for a new one every time you want a mounted unit.

What you need to know​
All you need to know is how to edit units in the object editor.

Getting Started​
First decide what unit you want to be on top of something and what the something the unit is on top of. For our example we will use rifleman on top of a horse.
Now that we decided what we are making we will make it. In this tutorial we are going to make the mounted unit by making an attachment for ability. You use triggers if you want it to be for cinematics or if a unit does something.

First we shall open the object editor. Then, the first thing we must do is make a copy of the unit we want to be on top so I will copy the riffle man.
Then we would change the unit’s walk or its movement speed to the horse’s movement speed so it is like the unit is riding it the horse. After we have the desired stats for the unit we shall change the model to the horse.

Now that we have the unit that is going to have horse ready we can add the rifleman on. How we are going to do this is by making in attachment by going to the ability editor. Then we will make a custom ability. The ability should be something like Attack Bonus+# and just change it so the bonus is 0. Then because it is an item ability we want to make it a unit ability.

abilityeg5.png

After we made the base of the ability and gotten rid of all the effects, we shall find the “art-target” part of the ability. Now that we found the art-target part of the ability we will double click it then press add model. We will add the model of the unit that it will look like it is riding the horse. So we will select riffle man.

Then we will got art-target attachments point then we will double click it then click on add string. Then in the box for the text we will type in exact words with out the(or it won’t work):
. Then we go to art-target attachments then type in 1. If you did it correctly it should look something like this:

attachrq6.png

Now that we finally have the ability made, we are ready to assign it to the unit we will make mounted. Go to the unit that was copied to look like the unit one the bottom, so we will go to the copied rifleman that looks like a horse because I changed its model, then we go to abilities-active then we click on that then press the drop down box that says the ability type and choose unit and go to the other box and select custom.

After we selected the active ability we shall place the unit in the map. NOTE it will not have the mounted unit on it until you test the map because it is an ability and abilities do not look active in the editor. Here’s the outcome of our beautiful creation (not really):
riflemanonhorseho5.jpg

If you cant get the unit to be on top of the horse or what ever you want, try changing the ability you base the ability with the rifleman on top on an active ability like area blight or something you don’t see on an icon button that you can press in the game.

I really don’t know how to get the rifleman in the exact location of the saddle, but a dragon will be better. You can make a dragon, riderless Wyrven or riderless Kodo , or you can download a good model with no rider. Use your imagination! Here’s the beautiful one I made:

montainkinggp5.jpg

Making a mounting ability​
All you have to do is edit the following abilities "Mount Hippogryph" and "pick up archer". For mount Hippogryph change the partner unit from hippogryph to the unit that is being ridden, in this case the horse. Then change the resulting unit to the unit that has the ability with the attachment that has the unit on top of the horse or what ever, then for the pick up archer replace archer with the unit you are putting on the model in our case it would be a rifleman then make the result the unit with the ability that has attachments. Make sure the abilities’ techtree- requirement is nothing or make it your own researchable upgrade! Then just change the icon of the ability and assign the pick up archer for the horse and mount Hippogryph for the rifleman. If you want a Dismount ability, copy the Night Elf Dismount ability and change data- partnering unit one to the rider unit, and change data-partnering unit two to the unit being ridden.
Happy Mounting!

Attachments

• mounting tutorial.w3x
    18.5 KB · Views: 330

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The rifleman riding the horse looks arkward... other than that its good :)

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
That's crazy! I never seen things like that....problem is, how are you suppose to get the right sound effects beside those from others like the Gryphon Rider's or Wind Rider's?

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
I am currently taking screen shots to better explain the mounting/dismounting abilities.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> beautful creation
:eek:
Looks like an abomination to me.

The only good way to position a unit the right way is model editing. Do it this way and the only thing that may help your unit on a "mount" is a hell of an imagination from a player.

Reaction score
> beautful creation
:eek:
Looks like an abomination to me.
Agreed :)
The only good way to position a unit the right way is model editing. Do it this way and the only thing that may help your unit on a "mount" is a hell of an imagination from a player.
Agreed again :)
And please, check you grammar, it's painful to read things like "riffle man"

Z

zesoccerking

????

i am not sure what i am doing wrong here is my map. every time i mount it kills my hero and does not make the dragon (in my case) not the same level as the hero was......

Attachments

• mountarenaav.w3x
    52.7 KB · Views: 198

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
I checked it out. First problem is you based the ability Mount off the wrong thing, it should be a unit ability based of the item item armor(or somthing like that) bonus. The hero is dying because it is being mounted. I edited the map around, i dont know if the air unit can be used, you might need to try using triggers. What you need to do is make a dummy ability that uses the action- Replace hero with Mounted Hero.
------
btw instead of making a separate trigger for each player's wisp do
Event: Map Intilzation
Action: Player Group: Pick every player in Players matching Player Slot Status is there.
if picked player is ally of red then create 1 wisp for picked player at (team ones area)
else creat 1 wisp for picked player at (team two's area)

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
Its roflmao
1. Because of the position the rifleman is placed on the horse...It rides the horse's head? :D
2. The rifleman should be shooting, not the horse "doing his attack"...:D

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Need more help with this? Check out The Hive Workshop!

#1 Warcraft 3 Reforged Modding Community
The Hive Workshop is the largest Warcraft III community since 2004 with over 100k users, centered around map making, modeling, custom games, programming & art.

www.hiveworkshop.com

That is the absolute BEST resource for Warcraft 3 World Editor Help in 2023 and beyond. Everyone that was here is there.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.