A few questions regarding languages, etc.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Umm... I have some questions down here, answer them if you don't mind. I don't really know where to post them so I decided to post it here :D.

1) How do people learn all those computer languages like C++? Do they read from books or internet or something?

2) How many languages are there in total?

3) What courses do Game Programmers take??

Hopefully you will be able to answer my questions, will +Rep

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
1. books/classes/internet/small (incremental) projects - all sorts of ways

2. lots, but generally only a few are suited for each type of project (i.e. will be able to run on XX, can do YY, etc.)

3. probably some c++ classes that cover things like openGL (for drawing graphics) or directX, threads, maybe some networking for multilayer games, etc.
Also some calc 3 (3-d stuff) and physics, maybe some art/design classes like photoshop and maya as well (so they don't bug the media people for every small little thing),

(for 3 im assuming you mean like standard PC/console games, if you wanted to make games for say a phone or a mobile platform or in a browser, you would probably use java or flash)

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
1. books/classes/internet/small (incremental) projects - all sorts of ways

2. lots, but generally only a few are suited for each type of project (i.e. will be able to run on XX, can do YY, etc.)

3. probably some c++ classes that cover things like openGL (for drawing graphics) or directX, threads, maybe some networking for multilayer games, etc.
Also some calc 3 (3-d stuff) and physics, maybe some art/design classes like photoshop and maya as well (so they don't bug the media people for every small little thing),

(for 3 im assuming you mean like standard PC/console games, if you wanted to make games for say a phone or a mobile platform or in a browser, you would probably use java or flash)

Well, thanks for the reply +rep. Can't believe this lol... Thanks anyway :thup:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I personally learnt all my stuff from the internet and trying stuff. I can currently fluently use about 5 or so programming languages. It gets easier the more you know.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest, I believe programming needs to be taken in school at one point. I can't cite this as a fact and tell you that you can not be a successful programmer without going to a computer sciences school, but I will tell you I think it would help tremendously.

As for programming, what you want to do depends on many things.

If you want application progrmaming, you're going to need a language such as Java, C++, C#, or maybe to get started learn to make Batch files.

If you want web programming, it's a whole different (and arguably easier and simpler) cup of tea. Just most of the programmers on the web follow the same or a similar path, HTML and CSS, JavaScript, if they are looking at server side they'll throw in PHP (MySQL) and/or ASP. The awesome thing about web programming is you can probably do it all yourself. If you are interesting in web programming, you can start with reading some of the linked tutorials and saving files at .html.

Whatever you do, you'll probably want an IDE and maybe, for web programming, your own local server.

If you want programming help on this forum, you can get it in the Programming subforum or the Webmaster General Help subforum.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
how much do you need to know about c++ before you can decently program stuff on your own?
i know:
arrays
header files
switch statements
structures
classes
enums
variables
functions(simple)

I don't know everything there is to know about each of the topics I just listed, but I do know quite a bit about them. Like overloading functions.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
how much do you need to know about c++ before you can decently program stuff on your own?
i know:
arrays
header files
switch statements
structures
classes
enums
variables
functions(simple)

I don't know everything there is to know about each of the topics I just listed, but I do know quite a bit about them. Like overloading functions.

It depends what you are wanting to program.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You really need memory management and pointers under your brain.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
forgot in my original post, biggest way that I learned: finding source code of simple projects and editing it

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
I would recommend Python 3.1.2 for you! It's easy and has enough documentation to take a whole's human life to read.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
I would recommend Python 3.1.2 for you! It's easy and has enough documentation to take a whole's human life to read.

Seconded, so high-level it's unpossible to fail

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.