ability research

Madmarine

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a basic question
how do you make abilities researched at start of map, for example marines starting with stimpack, or tanks with siege mode already researched?

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
EDIT: Go to the Data Editor, and go to the Requirements Tab. Search for the ability that is researched (for example Siege Mode). Go to the one that says Use (What ever you searched for, so in this case its "Use Siege Mode") and go to the Requirement Node on the right-side menu. Remove it.

The ability can now be used without having to research anything.

Madmarine

Reaction score
not exactly sure what you mean by requirement node. Under the requirement heading on the right side of where you indicated, there is a tree and under 'use' the requirement node 'count upgrade x' so i remove that and it does nothing, also it comes right back after i remove it. Can I please get another more detailed description of how to have abilities researched

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Did you click cancel? Otherwise it should work.

Make a marine and test it yourself after doing it, the Stimpack should be useable.

Madmarine

Reaction score
Doh
I figured out what I did wrong, now it works.
Thanks Monsterous.
I dont need it for my map, but is there a way to have those researched for a specific player only?

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
At the moment, not so sure. One way is to duplicate each ability for that player, but remove the requirement, and when that unit is made, just remove the ability, and give it the duplicate.

PrisonLove

Hard Realist
Reaction score
Isn't there something like in wc3 where you can set player upgrades through the editor and not have to use triggers?

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
What I did in wc3 was the following (I'm fairly sure it'll work in sc2 too):
Change the requirement to a (dummy) unit.
Place the required dummy unit in the corner of a map (he's invisible, invulnerable, unclickable etc.) for each player who should have the requirement.

Like this you can make things like "requires night" or "requires 15minutes in-game".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.