Actual Tooltip Layout

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
Recently I decided it would be fun to model all my structure's tooltips like the tooltips of WoW items (except for color-coded structures, the basic stats and abilities of the structure in green).

After playing around, I still have no clue what the arguments are.
I assume the format is <object,data,display_format> as well as <custom_object:reference_object,data,display_format>.

The only accepted format types I've seen are (%) and (.).

1) Does anyone know if there are time formats (converting 1500 seconds to 25 minutes) or perhaps even to hours? What about other formatters?
2) Why can't some fields be referenced (IE, bldtm)?
3) Has anyone found anyway to connect these tooltips to things outside the object editor (I've tired connecting to triggers and Gameplay Constants, both failed).
4) Is it possible to do arithmetic in tooltips?

Is there a huge guide to these lovely tooltips? :D

I'm sure this has been asked before, I even did a simple search, but found nothing really related (most were people forgetting to put the custom object reference.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
as far as i know the tooltips in wc3 are, plainly said, a piece of crab.
you cannot do much more then to reference ability data in an abilities tooltip, you cannot get data of other abilities nor of anything else.

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
You can go cross-ability as well as cross-unit (IE, my unit tooltips show data for abilities). o_O

But ye, they are a piece of crap. :D

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tooltips are fine for what they are.

Wikipedia said:
a small "hover box" with information about the item being hovered over.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
I don't think tooltips should be a novel's chapter. It should describe what the spell does in a short written and easy-to-read text that gives the player the right impression he needs to understand the spell. Compare:

"Launches a fiery ball at a target enemy unit, causing 75 damage and stunning the target for 2 seconds."

"Shoots a ball of fiery burning heat energy at a target enemy unit that travels at a fast speed, dealing 75.00 SPELL damage plus 0.35 times your current INTELLECT and STUNS the unit for 2 (1.50 seconds on HEROES). Has 12 seconds cool-down. Range: 600. Travel speed: 900."

If you want to do something dandy with your tooltips, you can add an extra line to your tooltip title ("|n") and write a spell class ("heal", "nuke", "aoe") which is truly helpful to the first impression.

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
The tooltips are for structures, not abilities. They simply state vital stats/abilities.

So, does anyone know any formatters besides % and .?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.