"ATB System" is this possible?

X

Xephy

Hey!

i've been playing with the idea to make a 2 player RPG, with an ATB system like simulair to the one in FFX
for those who haven't played it.
It's a turn based system, no need to explain more than that really, the more speed (Agility) you got, the more turns etc.

So my question is:
Is this possible?
if so, is this possible in without JASS?
Heck, i'm not even sure i would be able to make anything like that even in GUI with my present knowledge in GUI.

Any kind of help in this would be greatly appreciated, i really do wanna learn how to create a map based on this idea.

Arkan

Nobody rides for free
Reaction score
Possible yes, but probably very difficult and time consuming. Especially if you plan to do it in GUI.

Somatic

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
1 Thing brought out by people before
Why make a Turn Base System? It feels like asking to move from the Boardband age back to 56k.

Making A Turn Base System? Warcraft 3 Evolved from that stage... why would you want to go backtrack?

Not to mock you, just interesting Comments i have before.

And yes. ITs possible, Hiveworkshop have some working examples. ITs basically using Arrays, assign a unit's turn to the array, run the array and when its the unit's turn, pause all other units and only allow 1 of the unit to act.

X

Xephy

Possible yes, but probably very difficult and time consuming. Especially if you plan to do it in GUI.
Yeah, i expected it to be very difficult.
Time is not really a problem for me though..
But i can already picture myself bashing the keyboard because i can't get the computer controlled mobs to do as i like...

And yes. ITs possible, Hiveworkshop have some working examples. ITs basically using Arrays, assign a unit's turn to the array, run the array and when its the unit's turn, pause all other units and only allow 1 of the unit to act.

well, i just happen to like Turn based gameplay, also, i'm a big fan of the Final Fantasy series.
And it doesn't always have to be a back track.
They're just two different styles of gameplay, really.
Edit1: also, i tried to search on the Hive for those turn based systems, came up with nothing. you got a link that you can share?

Choppa

www.warcraft-gamers.po.gs
Reaction score
I don't get it at all, do you just mean how fast the unit turns around?
That doesn't sound too hard but... Why?

M

Magwill

I can't understand the way you are putting this. RTS are not a better form of turn based. They are both strategy and use it in different ways. Look at Civilization which is still going strong. That said, it would still be better to use another game engine to make a turn based game like Final Fantasy. You might get tired of all the workarounds you would have to do.

Anyways, I think I saw a FF map on war3inc, so try to contact the owner of such a map. It can also give you an idea of what you can do in the engine.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a campaign which i got from wc3search when it was still up.
It uses turn bases systems but not final fantasy style :p

http://war3.incgamers.com/maps.php?id=10000

it is possible... But you'll need... a lot of time.

+Rep please ^^

Edit: Found the map by googling :)

Somatic

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I can't understand the way you are putting this. RTS are not a better form of turn based. They are both strategy and use it in different ways. Look at Civilization which is still going strong. That said, it would still be better to use another game engine to make a turn based game like Final Fantasy. You might get tired of all the workarounds you would have to do.

Anyways, I think I saw a FF map on war3inc, so try to contact the owner of such a map. It can also give you an idea of what you can do in the engine.

Read

I Do not think Turn Base is Stupid, neither do i feel that turn Base Is Back Track, Its just what others feel about Turn Base On WC3 and What i Felt that Their Thoughts Are Points which is Quite True. KTHX

M

Magwill

Read

I Do not think Turn Base is Stupid, neither do i feel that turn Base Is Back Track, Its just what others feel about Turn Base On WC3 and What i Felt that Their Thoughts Are Points which is Quite True. KTHX

Since you posted them you must feel that the message in the quotes would be valuable for our mapmaker here. In that way you agree on that he should be aware of the quotes. I don't think they have any use at all, and gave my opinion. There is nothing more to it.

K

Kyoxu

I think his trying to make a RPG like Final Fantasy Forever. FFF has slow attack units that attack like turn based. I am trying to find ATB Tutorials too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.