Automotive

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Im just kind of wondering if anyone might be in the automotive industry that could answer a question for me.

Initially, I have been learning programming for a year at a college but I have recently been asking myself whether or not I rather be doing something else because I really have no passion for programming and might just be a hobby interest.

On the other hand, I have always been interested ever since I was a child watching my dad work on cars (some his own) as if they were his projects and always thought I would love to learn all about them and work on them myself. There is just something about cars that always made me dream of being able to work and personalize my own car beyond just looks. its as if lately, i have been thinking just driving a car isnt enough, i want to get under the hood. But I haven't lived with my dad in 10 years and that interest sort of faded away as he wasn't around anymore since my parents divorced but I really started getting really interested in imports and my interest grew again but I figured it was too late to ever possibly try learning all there is about cars, motors, and everything there is to know so that i could one day work on them. I am 20 years old so I still got a lot of years ahead of me but most of my friends who are into the automotive stuff have been doing it since they were kids and I know absolutely nothing. I could visit my dad and he could probably teach me a lot when it comes to hands on experience because I want to see if this interest would take me anywhere but i fear there may be no point and theres just far too much to be learnt even through reading many books and hands on training. I guess what I was hoping to ask is, is it possible for someone like me who doesn't know much about automotive turn it into a career if I really like doing it. I wont know if I truly will want to do this unless I ask my dad to help me learn but I dont want to waste his time if theres no point.

Thanks

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Sounds cool, yeah programming is just a hobby other than a passion to most people. Programming is more of a hobby to me.

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
it really depends how motivated you are

if you are really interested in cars, then give it a shot, im sure your dad wouldn't get mad at you if you decided its not what you want to end up doing the rest of your life.

after you get a better feel of what its like, then you can decide which path you want to take.

(besides, if you end up doing something else, its still handy knowledge to be able to fix your own car o_O)

if you dont try it, you will never know/perhaps even regret it?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Automotive work is really quite enjoyable, my dad started teaching me how to fix basic car things for as long as I remember, like around 4 years old I'd "help" him change tires and brakes and things like that. As I got older, I learned how to do more advanced stuff.

Really, if it's what you feel you want to do, go for it. :)

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
So you don't really think it's too late to start learning automotive with minimal prior experience at all? While I can probably learn a lot and get some hands on experience pretty quickly with my dad, I am not so sure I would be able to pick up on the more advanced stuff near as quickly as someone who has been working on cars and mechanics since they were kids so I am kind of at a huge disadvantage. I decided I will go down next spring after my college classes end and if I find that I enjoy it I would like to learn more at a technical school so I could work on cars myself but I fear I would be digging my own grave since I never really ever had any kind of previous interest in mechanics aside from always wanting to have my own car projects to work on from watching my dad.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.