Arena Azeroth Arena Tournament

maddriver

Reaction score
logolge.jpg

Azeroth Arena Tournament is a multiplayer dedicated WarCraft III map, designed for both competitive and casual play, nevertheless being a fun and entertaining map.

The map features 39 heroes, each one with his own spells.
All heroes are divided into 5 classes : Melee, Ranged, Casters, Support and Hybrids.

Melee heroes are designed to be very resistant, yet very fragile when attacked from distance. They are usually snared, slowed etc. by other heroes. Their melee range attacks are still very powerful. Most of them are strength based, but there also are a couple that have agility as primary stat.

Ranged heroes are the ranged auto-attack main damage dealers. All of them have agility as primary stat, that meaning that they have increased armor, therefore more durable versus melee attacks.

Spellcasters are the third type of heroes. They deal high amounts of damage at the cost of mana. However, they are not very durable, having low hp and armor. This is why they have increased spell damage and some slowing or other debuffs (such as polymorph).

Support heroes represent the healing class. They stay behind and heal or buff friendly units. They are even more fragile than spellcasters, but they are excellent at healing and buffing.

Hybrid heroes are basically heroes that can do everything, but they aren't good at either of them. They can heal, buff or deal damage, but, compared to the other classes, they aren't so efficient. Nevertheless they can be used for multiple tasks, making them the most flexible class in the game.

AAT also features 9 arenas, each one with it's own unique layout. All arenas require different tactics because of their design.

The map is designed as a match between two teams, having rounds (one for each arena), at the end of which players will have a small brake where they can discuss tactics or buy items.

AAT supports up to 10 players and 2 spectator slots. It supports matches from 1 v 1 up to 5 v 5.

The project started back in July 2008 and had a great public beta session. Since the release, AAT has received a lot of upgrades and improvements, new content and a growing player base.

Version 1.5 notes :
-added the item recipe system
-added Unique items and Artifacts at the Legendary Item Shop
-added a new camera system
-small terrain improvements and changes
-small User Interface changes
-worked on spell tooltips
-Fountain of Health bug fixed
-Pheonix bug fixed
-small bug fixes
-added a recipe tutorial at the Info Tab(F9)
-greatly improved overall map size, loading time and performance

Plans for the future are the adding of recipe items, but because of balance issues, the release of recipe system has been postponed until the next patch.

I would like to thank all testers who continued to send me feedback and suggestions. There is still much work to be done, but the map evolves with each new version.

The first in a series of gameplay trailers has been released. You can watch it below :
http://www.moddb.com/mods/azeroth-arena-tournament/videos/azeroth-arena-tournament-trailer1
More trailers will come soon, including arena presentations, fighting sequences or a more detailed view of each hero.

Download links :
Epic War
Hive Workshop

Screenshots below:

Attachments

• abyss.JPG
    abyss.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 242
  • ancient.jpg
    ancient.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 235
  • city.jpg
    city.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 230
  • forest.jpg
    forest.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 264
  • graveyard.jpg
    graveyard.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 241
  • mountain.jpg
    mountain.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 250
  • ruins.jpg
    ruins.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 245
  • swamp.jpg
    swamp.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 263
  • temple.jpg
    temple.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 261

maddriver

Reaction score
Version 1.5 of the map has been released.

Version notes:
-added the item recipe system
-added Unique items and Artifacts at the Legendary Item Shop
-added a new camera system
-small terrain improvements and changes
-small User Interface changes
-worked on spell tooltips
-Fountain of Health bug fixed
-Pheonix bug fixed
-small bug fixes
-added a recipe tutorial at the Info Tab(F9)
-greatly improved overall map size, loading time and performance

Download links :
Epic War
Hive Workshop

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
The terrain is crap. I suggest you work on making it more detailed and, well, better looking... :Z

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
Dota terrain is decent and not crap, it's just that they are blinded by it's gameplay and if this doesn't blind the users, they will go whining.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
DotA Terrain isn't crap. It's decent. :D You have to be honest, for an AoS that focuses not on uniqueness, but on being famous, it's good. It has it's trees, elevation, eyes like rivers and stuff. Ehem.

Are heroes custom? Or melee? Or mixed?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
mhm...

Dota's terrain is crap. It's still the most popular game warcraft III ever saw.
Its terrain is not crap -_- At least it looks like a proper battlefield, with natural features and stuff. Your map's arenas- on the other hand- looks like a flat plain with a single elevated piece of ground in the center.
Frankly, having to wait 3 minutes for a single match kinda killed the excitement. A minute of wait is long enough, its just right for players to purchase items and do whatever they want, given that they have a good idea of what they want.
Waiting for too long a time seriously kills the fun of the game. I don't mind having the shops in the arena and making the arenas follow one after another, healing all players to full health and mana and reviving all dead players. That would seriously make the game more face-paced and interesting.
Also, the heroes did not really interest me. They are mostly melee game heroes with little or no change to their abilities. I don't find that really entertaining.

maddriver

Reaction score
The terrain on this map serves the right purpose. I don't want players to stay and stare at the terrain while the enemy kills him. Also, the terrain must be kept at simple as possible, so that it would be easier for players to visually detect a certain spell being cast or see an incoming enemy.
Furthermore, each arena has a different layout, so they offer some diversity in tactics.
I will give you an example : take a look at WoW's arenas for a second, and you will see how few elevations they have. Yet, players do not complain about their design, and keep playing.

Yes, in the future I plan to improve each arena, by adding elevators, foot switches, traps or runes that will randomly spawn inside each arena, but until then, I need to see if it is worth working on this project or not, or if the changes it will bring will satisfy a larger audience.

As for the spells...I'm sorry, but this isn't a 1 hit kill game. Yes, DotA spells are more diverse, but if you look at them they are almost the same as the default ones, just with some mixes between their effects. To be honest, DotA spells and the heroes on that map are usually unbalanced. There are some quite overpowered spells out there, and I didn't want to kill the gameplay on my map by introducing such things.
In DotA not every hero can do a good 1v1. Why? Well because of the spell unbalance, and that some ultimates are too powerful.
DotA uses very much ganking, but here there is no place to retreat within an arena, no town portal scrolls, no towers to help you and no mobs to attack.
Here it's just you, the arena, your team and the enemy team.
Imagine having a Zeus's ultimate, or a Rikimaru or Balanaar hero, on a map which has smaller combat areas. It will be totally unbalanced.
Spells and heroes in DotA are good for that gameplay style, with NPC's and all, but it doesn't make a good game for me, it's just the thing that it is popular.
DotA is also a very item dependent game, and this too ruins a game for me.

In the future, I want to make the difference between classes a lot bigger. I want to add a Fury/Rage system instead of mana for Melee type heroes and a Focus system for Ranged heroes.
Basically Fury/Rage increases when the hero deals damage, but decreases in time.
Focus is just like rage, just that it regenerates a lot slower and does not decrease in time.

Thank you for your feedback regarding buy times. They will be shortened in the next version.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.