big frustration: variable won't show up

M

MrJoeS

Well, I did it. Using WinMPQ I was inexplicably unable to embed the .wav files, but when I tried TechMPQ I had no problem. For most units all it takes is 13 .wav files. Four "what," four "yes" and four "yes attack," plus a death .wav. The map ran fine, and the voices came out just as I hoped. Only trouble is that the map was a full 740 k, just to have 12 marines placed at the beginning, and a passel of creeps to kill. Without the wavs embedded it's just 20 k.

So if I were to distribute a map that used embedded wav files, I'd try to make them as short as possible. Also, because I used the same sounds for "yes" as for "yes attack" (a sound not used in StarCraft) the map could be further compressed if I could somehow refer to a single copy of each wave that is used twice.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
I have been searching relentlessly for the map that I made where I created sound sets via triggers, but I can't find it unfortunately.

Making custom sets via triggers would be a better way to do it, since it could use mp3 files instead of wavs, meaning a much smaller map.

Hmm, I think it's gone forever, but I guess it won't be hard for me to remake it. If I do, I'll probably stick it up the top in the free trigger code thread.

U

Unregistered

I thought changing unit voices would be too integral a change to make on the trigger level. Does it work as flawlessly as embedding the voices in your map?

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
From what I remember, it worked pretty well - I think I got it working perfectly or very near-perfectly.

The trick is to assign the marine unit sound to the unit you want to give a custom sound set. Since the marine has no unit sounds by default, you don't have to worry about getting any default sounds mixed in with your custom sounds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.