Blackbird & Streamaster

Xentorians

Reaction score
Looking at pictures of the phillyclassic, I bumped into these two devices which look like they obviously were meant for a Television set.

What do these things do exactly? Did they ever see the light of day? Did they get to do any of the functions they were built for? and for how long?
Can they still be used today?

Im just wondering about it, any info is greatly appreciated.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
They were set top boxes used by Cable Companies. The NUON chipset gave it the updateable element they needed and the Streamaster boxes were used in some area for a while. I don't think they ever played any games though and were just used for the decode stuff and updates. K3V has a Streamaster.

http://www.nuon-dome.com/streamasterpre.html

midnight8

NUON & Atari VCS Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I see. They seem pretty darn rare, Ive never seen em anywhere I frequent for sale.

I've never found anything nuon related except one nuon dvd player at a pawn shop. I think a of it is pretty rare. You don't even see it on ebay much anymore. Amazon still has a few games listed though.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
The Streamaster is practically useless without the service it was designed for. It is a set-top box - not a DVD Player.

Xentorians

Reaction score
What can the blackbird do? And can it still be used today?
On another note,
Digital Press has an auction right now for a Toshiba Nuon dvd systema controller and 5 games on Ebay. I might bid on it if it stays under $100 which is impossible lol :banghead:
There is also a "buy it now" for a Toshiba SD-2300 DVD Player, going for $50 bux plus shipping. The auction title doesnt mention NUON on it. Maybe the guy selling it would go a few dollars cheaper if asked thinking its just an old DVD player hat has got to go.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
The auction title doesnt mention NUON on it. Maybe the guy selling it would go a few dollars cheaper if asked thinking its just an old DVD player hat has got to go.

Remember the SD2300 does not have the same VLM that the other players have, it only has I think 8 effects. Also, it did not come with a Pack in Controller. A demo disc was offered with the The Next Tetris when you mailed in a card but I would not expect that stuff in there for the 50 buck price.

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the next tetris any good? its one of the games I've been looking for. These games don't hit ebay very often. I will probaby never bee able to afford Iron soldier but I am still hoping to get space invaders xl and next tetris

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What can the blackbird do? And can it still be used today?

It can be "convinced" to run software, if you're willing to spend a bunch of time monkeying around and getting the box talking to your PC. I did it once, and did a write-up with screenshots here:

http://www.nuon-dome.com/hard_blackbird.html

I even posted to the N-D forums from it's primitive web browser :)

Xentorians

Reaction score
Interesting stuff, dam it seems all the neat stuff VM Labs was associated with wasn't too successful, these new set top boxes dont do a thing, just change channels (which isn't too shabby either lol). These two devices should have been great. I got the Nuon Demos & Games cd yesterday and was messing around with it all night, very neat stuff indeed, everyone should get one of these, any plans on a new cd one day? Im trying to get those two games as well midnight8. Any Tetris or Space Invaders version is a good one in my book, btw package got here, thx alot man, I didn't have these controllers.

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff, dam it seems all the neat stuff VM Labs was associated with wasn't too successful, these new set top boxes dont do a thing, just change channels (which isn't too shabby either lol). These two devices should have been great. I got the Nuon Demos & Games cd yesterday and was messing around with it all night, very neat stuff indeed, everyone should get one of these, any plans on a new cd one day? Im trying to get those two games as well midnight8. Any Tetris or Space Invaders version is a good one in my book, btw package got here, thx alot man, I didn't have these controllers.

Hope you enjoy the controllers. I have not gotten to use mine much yet except on merin racing which is what I was using to test them for repair. Remember Skah Tmade it possible for you to get them. I'm sure you would have had to pay a lot on ebay for them. prob 25 bucks a piece or more.

GT149x

Cool Member
Reaction score
SD2300 with Tetris can happen

Remember the SD2300 does not have the same VLM that the other players have, it only has I think 8 effects. Also, it did not come with a Pack in Controller. A demo disc was offered with the The Next Tetris when you mailed in a card but I would not expect that stuff in there for the 50 buck price.

It can happen-
I finally completed my NUON collection this way: Found an ebay auction for a functional SD2300; No mention of a disk included or NUON; asked the seller if there was a demo disk with it; To my surprise "Yes, with a copy of The Next Tetris." I got it all for $27 plus shipping! Now My Nuon collection is complete and I have an extra NUON player for the bedroom!
-Jim

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.