Bottomless Chasm?

imakunee

Reaction score
Well, I've looked around for something that could help me with this but haven't found it.

I need to somehow make a drop off look like either a bottomless pit or so deep that you can't see the bottom too well. I tried making the terrain go as far down as I could with the terrain palette and it only goes down twice. :banghead:

If anyone has suggestions on how to do this I'd be very grateful. Or if someone else managed to do this already a link would be great! Thank you!

This is a pic of the drop off I'm trying to turn into a bottomless/deep chasm.

chasm.jpg

kingkwong92

Reaction score
Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for All Players emitting Fog of war across Region 000 <gen>

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
You could use invisible ground tile and import some cool custom sky model. Dont really know how good that would look, though.

imakunee

Reaction score
You can fill it with black fog doodads, that should do it if you get enough of them.

smokesmudges.jpg

Well, it works. Only grudges I have against it is that's a LOT of smoke smudges so I don't know if it might cause some lag and I didn't really want it to look like black smoke was coming out of the chasm. If nothing else seems to work better than I guess I'll work with it. Does look pretty cool though I have to admit.

Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for All Players emitting Fog of war across Region 000 <gen>

visibilitymodifier.jpg

Tried Black Mask also with the same result.

You could use invisible ground tile and import some cool custom sky model. Dont really know how good that would look, though.

I don't think randomly having the ground open up into sky would look too good. And I have no idea how to use an invisible ground tile. >.> Thanks for the idea though. Maybe I'll figure it out and be able to use it somewhere else.

It could probably look better if you use the miscdata.txt thingy.

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/show...ght=terraining

I guess you would need to remake all of your terrain though but it might just look more pritty : )).

Well, I read through the tutorial and I saw some interesting things but I have no idea how to use the miscdata.txt. I thought I read something about a UI folder but I can't find that in my Warcraft III folder. Do I have to make it?

What about the Outland Abyss tile?

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to terraining so I don't know how to access that tile.

+Rep to all for expedient replies and helpful input :D

Admit

Reaction score
I'm kind of a noob when it comes to terraining so I don't know how to access that tile.

Advanced -> Modify terrain

check the "Use custom tilset box"

Then add the tilset " Abyss (Unbuildable).

Edit* I just remembered that "red" tilset can't be added....

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
If you use NewGen, you can add the Abyss tile by scrolling down into Cliff Base Tiles - Group 3 in Modify Tileset.

imakunee

Reaction score
Well, I opened up NewGen and added the Abyss tile. That worked fine. But then I can't overwrite the tiling that is already in the chasm. I have Abyss seleced, try to paint over the bottom of the chasm and nothing happens. Then I try it on the white tile that's on the side and it works there. But if I try to lower it the Abyss is just overlayered with the other tile again. I'm thinking it has to do with it being a cliff tile...

Edit: Well, it just clicked that Abyss is a cliff tile when I noticed my unit can't run over the Abyss tile. So I raised the ground to normal level then painted where I wanted the chasm to be with the Abyss tile.

abysschasm.jpg

Looks kind of like a tar spill. :( Not very chasm-like. And it messes with the appearance of surrounding tiles.

illidan92

Reaction score
You could just increase the doodad scale of the black smoke.

And you can make it go lower with the "lower" in the terrain pallette at the bottom.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
You could get a large flat model, tint it completely black, and use that to fill your chasm. That way you don't need to use that many doodads. I think there is a sunken ruins square tile doodad, which is really big and flat.

imakunee

Reaction score
Put line of sight blockers there.

lineofsightblockers.jpg

Gives me Fog of War but I would want Black Mask.

And you can make it go lower with the "lower" in the terrain pallette at the bottom.

Tried that. It won't drop down any further than it is. Even tried making a trigger and that didn't seem to do anything. o_O

You could just increase the doodad scale of the black smoke.

Thanks, actually didn't think of that lol. Reduces the number of smudges a lot and I might be able to work with this. Problem is the smoke still goes up in the air and you can see it on the sides of the chasm. I tried making the smudge into a unit and changing it's animation speed to 0% of original speed but it didn't do anything. Even tried 1% just to make sure. :(

Wondering if there is anyone out there willing to modify the smudge model and remove the smoke that floats up.

Edit:

You could get a large flat model, tint it completely black, and use that to fill your chasm. That way you don't need to use that many doodads. I think there is a sunken ruins square tile doodad, which is really big and flat.

Only flat doodads I found were called Ruined Ground and they cause sharp, unnatural edges and have some holes in them when I turn them black. Thanks for the idea though, unless of course I found the completely wrong thing.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Then make it a region and just make it black there. It's possible to do.... Or make it black water?

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Actually, you can do it just fine with some fog + lower tool. Just remember to do that miscdata thingy, so you can get the right effect.

See these Diablo map pictures for example: link

I think they do it pretty well.

Uszi

Reaction score
Only flat doodads I found were called Ruined Ground and they cause sharp, unnatural edges and have some holes in them when I turn them black. Thanks for the idea though, unless of course I found the completely wrong thing.

You could use any doodad if you mess with the pitch angle from that tutorial that was posted above:http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32561&highlight=terraining

When I've seen bottomless chasms done well, I've seen the custom cliffs using that Misc.txt file and a terrain fog.

So... Without messing around with files, I found this thread:
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123168&highlight=custom+cliff

The last two pages show how to make cliffs just by raising the terrain and using pathing blockers. Try raising the terrain REALLY high, adding a terrain fog to help obscure the bottom, and maybe adding FoW Doodads/line of sight blockers on the very bottom of the cliff.

The more dense the fog, the less distance you need before things that are higher or lower are really obscured. Mess with the Z-Start for the terrain fog to get different effects as far as fog density.

Just remember to do that miscdata thingy....

Are there any guides on this on the forums? I looked real quick and didn't see any immediately.
I mean, the OP doesn't know how to do it.
And neither do I.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
There is some tutorial here that includes that miscdata thingy, I just dont remember what it was called. Probably some terraining tutorial.

edit. You already posted it. Its in that 2-P´s tutorial.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.