Bridge problems with a doodad

Sunprayer

Reaction score
Hi @ all,

i tried to make my first map and i definitely want a Bridge in it !
i created a doodad "Mar Sara Bridge long" and rotated it, so it covers
the Gap of water BUT if i want my worker to go over the bridge it doesn't work.
I tried to do a Terrain Object but i can only rotate it in 90° steps and thats very lame (it didn't work with the worker either).
It works if there is terrain underneath the bridge but that is not what i want because it looks terrible.

With the doodad thing the worker walks through the bridge also, there is no collusion i think but i have not found a value where i can change it.

So how can i make a good looking, fully functional bridge ???

thx for all answers!

Terrain.jpg

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Basically, the footprint is incorrect. I've had that too while rotating a vertical bridge to a diagonal shape. I'm not sure how to fix this (yes, change it's footprint to something custom matching your angel), but it's limiting, as you're stuck with grids (tiny squares) instead of pixels.

If you really need this angle, study footprints on your data editor. If not, use 45°, makes it much easier.

Sunprayer

Reaction score
Hmmmm ... ok i don't know that footprints have anything to do with the angle of the doodads. I thought footprints are descriptions, that help the Editor to identify an object.

so i don't understand what i have to do ...

or do you mean the footprint of the terrain object ? i just named it "MarSaraBridge" so far ... but i dont know what i have to put there.
the number "45" seems to be incorrect to ??

hope you can give me further information.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Partly, yes I can give you more information.

A footprint pretty much is the same as a pathing blocker. Take a building, they have a footprint of a certain size. It's because of the footprint ground units can't walk over.
Or a tree, same story. It's because of it's footprint ground units can't walk over.

Now a bridge... They have a "complicated" footprint. Basically, their footprint disallows you to walk over the 2 sides of the bridge where you're not supposed to walk over, whereas the footprint also makes you able to walk over the "entrance" and the "exit" of the bridge. This part of the footprint overwrites the footprint the cliff has. Because of the bridge's footprint you are able to walk "down" the cliff and then "up" again (which is over the bridge, of course).

You can enable pathing at:
1) "View"
2) "View pathing"
3) "View unpathable" + "View Mesh (= enable view pathing)"

Sadly, I haven't studied footprints enough to tell you how to make your own footprint of a custom angle. That's why I recommend you change your road to 45° (or 0°/90° ofc). It's much easier atm.

About 45°... Basically, a bridge is set to 0°, 90°, 180° and 270° (north, west, south, east). 45° would be between 0° and 90°, meaning north-east (diagonal /). Yet this bridge has it's own footprint, a diagonal one, and thus it's a separate bridge in the editor. I'm not sure whether every bridge has a diagonal version of itself.

Sunprayer

Reaction score
First of all thanks for your help i found a tutorial that explains how to make a footprint for a bridge very nice ... and now it works ... here it is ... LINK

i try to do a diagonal one and post my outcome here. :thup:

Sintheron

Reaction score
Working bridge solution

i know your problem, ive struggled with it as well at my map, so i just skipped the problem and made the rest first, anyway i found the solution

place your bridge
go to pathing ( quickkey H)
and use the dynamic pathing fill tool and spam your bridge with it

then make a random unit next to your bridge, test it and you will see you can walk over it.

ive never found the solution somewhere after searching A LOT on the internet so i guess im the first one to figure this out ^^

youre welcome anytime

by the way, things could become pretty wicked like they can run from the edge of the bridge into the cliff, make sure to place the bridge and the pathing carefully

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.