(C) Copyright a map?

zzyzxroad

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but can someone actually copywrite a map? I recentl saw one, that in the main screen when you are choosing to host a map for examp,e, hes got the old "(C)" symbol in front of it all.

I always thought that everything warcraft related basically belonged to blizzard. From what I have read, you cant actually steal someones map, since it belongs to blizzard, so this seems to be a little deterant to not steal his map or what?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but can someone actually copywrite a map? I recentl saw one, that in the main screen when you are choosing to host a map for examp,e, hes got the old "(C)" symbol in front of it all.

You can easily add the (c) symbol, actually copyrighting your map is another thing.

I always thought that everything warcraft related basically belonged to blizzard. From what I have read, you cant actually steal someones map, since it belongs to blizzard, so this seems to be a little deterant to not steal his map or what?[/QUOTE]

I'd say you can't actually copyright a map, and you wouldn't want to, its just a map, no one is going to (or should ever) earn money from making maps for an online game.

Also, these maps are made by another program, which is of coruse made by Blizzard, so if you went so far as to copyright your map, you'd probably have to contact Blizzard for the permission to do so.

Hope this helps.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well the models, textures, ect are copyrighted by Blizzard but custom models, custom skins, ideas, ect are not.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
You can have part Copyrights on the Idea and Creation and models But blizzard gets all the rest

Asehujiko

Reaction score
Sue him for stealing blizz property and make a few million bucks out of it because he "tried to sell you illegal stuff".

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Blizzard User Agreement said:
2. Ownership.
All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Program and any and all copies thereof (including but not limited to any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, and "applets" incorporated into the Program) are owned by the Licensor or its licensors.

So, Blizzard "owns" all the maps users make.

No, you can't copyright a map.

But you can always protect a map.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> you can always protect a map
If I'm not mistaking that is breaking the EULA as well, but a lot of other stuff we did does as well...

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I tried to open a map in World Editor, which had won the official 'Halloween Map Contest' hosted by Blizzard at battle.net, so...

I'm not sure. The User Agreement doesn't say anything about protecting (though I didn't read it that carefully, anyway).

zzyzxroad

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Well a few of you actually said that the ideas and story can be copywrited, so does that mean its quite possible this dude did that? If so how could one actually find out if something is copywrited?

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
WC3 EULA said:
2. Ownership. All title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in and to the Program and any and all copies thereof (including, but not limited to, any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, and "applets" incorporated into the Program) are owned by Blizzard Entertainment or its licensors. The Program is protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international copyright treaties, and conventions and other laws. All rights are reserved. The Program contains certain licensed materials, and Blizzard's licensors may protect their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement.
Therefore a map cannot be legally copyrighted (maybe only with Blizzard's written permission, I'm not that familiar with US laws). No, the idea cannot be copyrighted as it certainly contain at least one aspect of what is already provided by the editor (in order to come up with the idea you are certainly considering WC3's mechanics and limits first). And this is already copyrighted by Blizzard, as you can see above.

The story...maybe. But it mustn't contain any aspects of Blizzard's storyline whatsoever. This would probably include using Orc models for Orc units in your story as that implies that your Orcs were imagined the same way Blizzard's, copyrighted ones, are.

Worth mentioning though that most of what I just wrote may or may not be true, but one thing I'm certain of is that a map cannot be copyrighted. No way, no how. The minor details are not even worth considering, it's just a map after all.

zzyzxroad

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. I guess its a deterrant then by the map maker. But I guess as long as there can be no legel issues with copying towers and such, then no worries.

E

eG_Vibe

No, no no they can't do that but ppl might get mad at u, but I herd that if you use WEU it can change the cpoyright or something b/c its not blizzards program idk discuss xD

zzyzxroad

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
No, no no they can't do that but ppl might get mad at u, but I herd that if you use WEU it can change the cpoyright or something b/c its not blizzards program idk discuss xD

hmm...besides then snooping though the jass itself, how would one really know if its from WE or WEU? Of course even though its being edited in WEU, its still all the gaming info that belongs to Blizzard.

Regardless of editor, I still need to get a defenite answer if this is possible or not.

snippet from copyright.gov:
Form of Notice for Visually Perceptible Copies
The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain all the following three elements:

1. The symbol © (the letter C in a circle), or the word “Copyright,” or the abbreviation “Copr.”; and

2. The year of first publication of the work. In the case of compilations or derivative works incorporating previously published material, the year date of first publication of the compilation or derivative work is sufficient. The year date may be omitted where a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work, with accompanying textual matter, if any, is reproduced in or on greeting cards, postcards, stationery, jewelry, dolls, toys, or any useful article; and

3. The name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an abbreviation by which the name can be recognized, or a generally known alternative designation of the owner.

Example: © 2006 John Doe

Well this map, the dude uses a (C) which is not an official symbol. So unless he changes that, there absolutely no chance at a copyright......so far

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> its not blizzards program
It is, WEU isn't made from scratch, it's still worldedit.exe.
Even worse it uses a method of hacking on worldedit.exe which is breaking the EULA if I'm not mistaking.

If he only had some random (C) then it's obviously fake according to the snippet you posted.
And as I previously said...a map cannot be copyrighted. Unless he clearly stated that his idea is copyrighted then it's just a fake notice to prevent people from stealing it...
Besides maps are usually made by mere kids, I seriously doubt they have (enough) knowledge of the copyright laws.

zzyzxroad

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Thanks SFilip. I thought today at work, that WEU is only an extention, and not a standalone, but still using ALL of Blizzards material.

As far as "FAKE"....As far as I read, one COULD copyright something, but it should be registered to be legal. Since there is no actual Copyright symbol, I would assume it isnt/cant be.

This map is actually quite advanced it seems, so i dont think its a mere kid. I would think 20 years old. (from what i have seen on other forums. What may have been stated as education or so). So he would have been able to comprehend the laws too.

I actually emailed blizzard, although havnt recieved a responce yet. The map I have been talking about is Shopping Maul FYI.

zzyzxroad

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Well here it is official from Blizzard:

Code:
Greetings,

Thank you for emailing the Blizzard technical support department in regards to your question.  It is not possible for a person to copyright a map as such, and you can label a map with any name.

Please email me back if you require any further assistance or have any further questions.

Regards,
Peter N.
Technical support
Blizzard Entertainment

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
If you get permission(never will happen) form battle.net, and get someone to copyright your map(never will happen), you could. But it is a waste.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.