Can(Will) Anyone Teach Me DotA?

Crazy_Dead

Reaction score
This is a pretty funny question, but in every game i join( DotA ), i get kicked for feed etc..

This is making me sad, cause i love to play DotA, but dont know the game.

So my questions is:

Can someone host a game for me( 5v5 ) and teach me ho to play?

Would really appreciate.

//Crazy_Dead :thup:

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Go play on Garena, make a fake username to not shame your actual username. Keep playing there.

xy4kuz4x

Reaction score
Play with AI first for a dozen games.

then play with human.

or you can play with your IMBA friends... They can improve your skill better. watch their play, tactic and 'premonition (can't find better word)'

Farmer_Ahab

Reaction score
OK,first,go to some DotA strategy site,find which hero fits you,if you found your hero,check the skills,and check its guide's,read its skill builds and item builds,if you think your ready,well,your not.....thats why we move on to the second one..

Ok,when your playing ingame,DONT attack the hero,alway's stay behind your creeps,and attack the enemy's creeps,you can only attack the hero if you have a decent level(above level 6) and decent items
also,avoid towers when you are in a low level,towers can pwn you if you dont have the right level and the right items......

Start with -test command on,so you can know how strong your hero is when he's got the right items,then challenge AI without -test,start with easy,then normal,then insane,and if you think your good enough,challenge your friends and show them your new DotA skills!!!!

Note:NEVER!!i say NEVER use Invoker when your a newbie,your fingers will ache.

Gummi_Bears

Reaction score
I recommend you just go to www.dotastrategy.com for loads of guides. Also go to www.playdota.com the official site where theres also guides, but with free AI maps and replays. Play AI by yourself, watch replays, read guides or just practice more with a friend. There's too much things to teach...but you'll learn through experience. But always remember when playing dota - always try to last hit or deny; never autoattack. Know your position on the team. e.g. If you're a supporting-type hero, try not to kill steal and let the carry last hit. If you're struggling on your lane then ask for a switch, or ask for help. When last hitting or denying, make sure you don't get harassed too much. Also, try harass them if they do the same. Play safe. Tower hug. Read your teammates comments, like 'mid ms', etc. Always carry TPs.. I reckon the most easiet heroes to use are skeleton king, axe, ursa warrior and huskar. Practise with some of these.

Crazy_Dead

Reaction score
* No noob picks Ursa, Axe or Riki in AP *

I usually go -random str, and hope for some good( Every str-hero is good except Pit Lord, He is the most useless ganker in DotA )
I've learned abit, and i'm better. Still i dont play ranked; i play Pubs. :thup:

the Immortal

I know, I know...
Reaction score
> Every str-hero is good except Pit Lord
Yeah, he is awesome. Turtle, initiate, tank, disable, massive creep killing capacity. You won't probably get beyond with him, but played well, he may prove to be the backbone of the entire team.

Garena is a gaming platform where for PUBs you gotta rmk 4 games out of 5.
But start there. As you are playing a pub, better pick some hero that can make it on his own (i.e. no supports/babysitters/hard carries) as you'll more often than not be faced with the general stupidity that roams across the silly excuse for a brain that people in this gaming community have*.
Master that hero (there are actually very good guides around), and always in a match try to have a glimpse, if possible, what your allies / opponents' abilities are (using playdota for ex.). Don't do stupid things, and try to outlane them. Then, once again, not doing stupid things, avoiding ganks and organizing these on your own, take the edge in the match. Then manage to beat them in a few team battles. And that's it. It's a win.

From that point on, it's just about improving your playstyle, remembering all the heroes (~100, !@#$ yes!), and mastering all the more 'advanced' stuff as lasthitting, jungling, wards, creep stacking and all that -funny- shit. Later on you can search for better gaming leagues so as not to have so many newbies / leavers in a game, clan wars, or even tournaments.

I don't say it's balanced at all, it's just simply fun to play a game or two in the evening with friends or even when you only have 0.5-1 hours free. Doing it since ~v5.40. Don't ask me when was that.

* no offence towards anybody, just practicing my english

Crazy_Dead

Reaction score
Nice. Babysitter? What is that? Puck? :eek:

My favourite atm, is Traxxex + Earthshaker. Stun + Slow + Damage. Dead. ES is fun to block creeps with. Fissure in the spawn and they are blocked all way. :D

Nickdzul

Reaction score
* No noob picks Ursa, Axe or Riki in AP *

I usually go -random str, and hope for some good( Every str-hero is good except Pit Lord, He is the most useless ganker in DotA )
I've learned abit, and i'm better. Still i dont play ranked; i play Pubs. :thup:

I see.

You say Pit Lord is a most useless ganker in DotA?
Seems like your not learning anything.

Due to Pit Lord's Rain of Fire skills, he farm triple times faster than Phantom Assasin without Battlefury. He can farm like hell to get a Power Thread, Battlefury, Vladimirs, and Shivas' Guard before Phantom Assasin could even farm a Butterfly. (this is about farming, not about killing)

Ok we move to Ganking Part.

He has a fire, pit, and 3rd skills which i forgotten.
You say hes useless Ganker? Compare to Axe? Pit's better.
Axe need a blink to catch up people, ES need a blink to really functional in a team. Dragon Knight need a battlefury to show his goodness at all.

Pit Lord does need his skills only. Spam Fire, when enemy low health, just Pit infront of him and Fire. (You can pit infront of him, when he hit the gate, he will eventually get stunned) Then kill with your massive damage.

To survive, just find a fogged place, *shop is a nice example* gate infront, use ultimate to your tower or anything. Then just wait for survival.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

About this topic, go download an AI map.
That's how i learnt.
DON'T RANDOM UNLESS YOU KNOW ALL HEROES ABILITIES AND ITEMS.
Learn how to farm.
And if you like Strength, doesn't mean you need to get Heart of Tarrasque and Vanguard all time.
Depend on the game, if Versus Intelligence Hero, I suggest use Tidehunter (strength) or anti-Mage (Agility) Pugna (inteligence) and get a Khadgar Pipes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go download some professional Replays and learn from them.
Play at Garena, and add me. We could play sometimes together.

add MY_Exodus^C

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
1. Always remember: Dota is about teamwork. That's just the bottom line. Even powerful carries like PL and PA need their teams to really shine.

2. The basic rule you should stick to while learning the ropes is to stay around other players, and play cautiously. Watch good players, pay attention to how they play.

3. Pick 2 or 3 heroes that you enjoy, and learn them inside and out. Read several different guides on each one, and master those heroes. From there, move onto more and more heroes. Soon enough, you'll be suprised by how much you've learned.

4. Like lots of other people have suggested, you should DL the AI map, and play it often. The AI often plays better than many public games. :p

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
No hero is useless in DotA. Not a single one. Some are slightly underpowered but can still be powerful enough in the right hands.

A Babysitter is a hero used to "babysit" a carry. They protect the carry while harassing enemy heroes in the lane, allowing the carry to get a high creep kill rate. This lets them get gold = items = pwnage.

Easiest way to learn dota is to get a couple friends together (you don't even need 9 other friends, just 2 or 3) and play. In the beginning the biggest concern will be getting to know abilities. Knowledge is power. If you don't know what an enemy can do, then you might underestimate or overestimate their abilities.

When you can play well in the smaller games like 2v2, 3v3 then you should move upto 5v5 with the help of public hosting sites like garena. Now you know the items and abilites and how to play generally. What you will learn in 5v5 is teamwork. When to push, when to stun, when to initiate a gank and when to run.

Btw, what timezone are you? I'm at GMT +4. I usually play with a few friends (2 of them) at around 5pm to 7pm my time.

FannyShaver

Reaction score
It's still just one thing you do.

Pick hero;
Buy item;
Stun someone;
Own someone;
Buy item;
Get stunned;
Get owned;
Restart the process;
Stunota.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
It's still just one thing you do.

Pick hero;
Buy item;
Stun someone;
Own someone;
Buy item;
Get stunned;
Get owned;
Restart the process;
Stunota.

While stuns and disables are quite important, they aren't gamebreaking. Buy a Black King Bar (BKB) if the opposing team has a lot of disables. I generally play carry gankers like Zeus, NightStalker, Necrolyte etc and can own plenty without stunning anyone. I find the nickname stunota irritating, because I really don't know how much you've played or what options you've tried.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.