Can you find a better deal than this iMac?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Now, as an Apple fan, I'm stoked about the new quad core i7 iMac @ 2.8GHz with a 27.5" display, it's much better value than the previous models, can it compare with a PC yet?
Funny this is two days (US time) before the Windows 7 OS release, Apple choose to unveil their new Macs :eek:

iMac @ $2,568 (US)
  • 2.8GHz quad core i7 processor @ 2.8GHz w/ 8MB shared L3 cache, turbo boost up to 3.46GHz
  • 1TB SATA Hard Drive
  • 8GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM
  • ATI Radeon 4850 512MB
  • Apple Care Protection Plan (Extended 3 year warranty)
  • Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse (touch mouse)
  • 27.5" 2560x1440 resolution (16:9)

I'm looking at alienware atm, seeing if I can find something significantly cheaper.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do#a
e9280t @ 2,144.98 (1,754.98 with some rebate)
  • Windows 7 Ultimate (Don't know about warranty)
  • Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHz w/ 1MB L2 cache + 8MB shared L3 cache
  • 1TB SATA Hard Drive
  • 8GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM
  • ATI Radeon 4850 1GB
  • HP Wireless Keyboard + Mouse
  • 27" 1920x1080 resolution

Aurora @ 2,693
  • Windows 7 Ultimate (1 year LTD warranty)
  • Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHz w/ 8MB cache
  • GTX 260 1.8GB
  • 9GB DDR3 1067MHz RAM
  • 1TB SATA Hard Drive
  • 27" (don't know resolution)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Alienware is about the most expensive system you'll find.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Yeah I know, I just don't know where to go to find a desktop's that are good, looking at dell/HP atm.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Yeah I'm talking about a store bought computer, building a PC knocks any store bought Mac or PC out of the water.

Varine

Reaction score
If you want store bought Alienware will probably win but you're spending at a minimum 50% more than you need to usually.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I updated my original post, it has a similar iMac, HP desktop and alienware desktop, alienware is nearly $1000 more than the HP.
Finally Apple bring out something that can compare to a PC!

The alienware came to 2,900-3,100 roughly with it's 3 year warranty, so the iMac is cheaper :)
The HP is cheaper, but it's 27" screen has a lower resolution and I didn't configure any warranty option for it, I couldn't find it, and I'm not sure if there were any terms and conditions w/ the discount.

The all in one system I configured from HP didn't really compare, it was like $2600 with a 24" and other not as good (except for the graphics card) components.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
if you have extra money to spare. always go for the better one. even if its more expensive

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Yeah, if I didn't need my Mac Pro I'd get the iMac for my next computer. ATM the iMac i7 is cheaper than the quad Mac Pro w/o a screen,
when the refreshes come I think the Mac Pro is getting a exclusive and temporary gulftown processor (6-core), possibly dual 6 cores, will be interesting to see.
I'm really excited about the new Apple Magic Mouse... No buttons, everything is touch sensitive, I've got to buy one it's only $100 AU.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
the trackpad for a macbook pro is already touch sensitive. its just a giant button.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Yeah it kind of is, but it's a mouse (I prefer a mouse to track pad), and I believe it's the first of it's kind :)

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
What? if you don't want to get involved you don't have to, I just like talking about computers/pricing and particularly Macs and the new stuff Apple have come out with.

Varine

Reaction score
No I don't get why you're looking through only store computers; like none of them have the exact same stats and all of them will use different cases and motherboards, which are a huge factor in the pricing too.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
It's the closest I can, you can't build a Mac therefore comparing a DIY PC to a Mac (or a PC) I wouldn't be able to compare anything properly.
Technically you could pull up all the parts online, but I really don't want to do that although I may have a peek at NewEgg.

EDIT: I don't know if I was looking correctly, but the most expensive motherboard on newegg was $249 (that I saw), and also the cases weren't that expensive (all around $100 I think)

Varine

Reaction score
Mac's use the same hardware, just a different OS.

But I mean, Alienware cases are flat out the best anywhere, and honestly the extra couple hundred makes it worth it because you can't get them anywhere else.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
It's the closest I can, you can't build a Mac therefore comparing a DIY PC to a Mac (or a PC) I wouldn't be able to compare anything properly.
Technically you could pull up all the parts online, but I really don't want to do that although I may have a peek at NewEgg.

EDIT: I don't know if I was looking correctly, but the most expensive motherboard on newegg was $249 (that I saw), and also the cases weren't that expensive (all around $100 I think)

Go find a local computer store. Get them to build you one. You will get way better specs out of it.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Alienware cases are not the best as far as performance, Id even argue that they are far from the best.

If youre saying appearence, Id say the same as above.

That comp is still a ripoff, spending over 2,000 and only getting a single 4870?lolwtf? That card wont even run anything properly at those resolutions.

Edit
wow turns out i was wrong. Sorry guys. Its an even worse deal than i had anticipated. Its a 4850 not a 4870.

Ibuypower or building your own for will get you something far superior for maybe half the price give or take (not really take)

Varine

Reaction score
Ibuypower is shitty, I think.

And alienware systems are some of the best you'll find, they address pretty much every problem I've ever had.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Ibuypower is shitty, I think.

And alienware systems are some of the best you'll find, they address pretty much every problem I've ever had.

Aside from the fact that they cost a million f*cking dollars.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.