World China bans ancient dog-eating festival after online uproar

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
China has banned a dog-eating festival that dates back more than 600 years after a Chinese internet uproar over the way dogs are slaughtered, the official Xinhua news agency reports.

Dogs are chopped up and skinned in the streets of Qianxi township in coastal Zhejiang province during the ancient festival, which is usually held in October, state-run Xinhua says.

The festival marks a local military victory during the Ming dynasty, in which dogs in Qianxi were killed so they would not bark and alert the enemy.

After the victory, dog meat was served at a celebratory feast, and since then local people have eaten dog meat at temple fairs held during traditional Chinese holidays.

Last edited:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know it's their culture, but the way the article describes how they kill them makes it a lot worse than if they were just eating them (which I am not against, for it's in their culture).

Rhydian

Reaction score
I think it was alright up until the vendors started murdering the dogs in the street showing the brutal conditions of their kill, to them dogs could have been a staple food source so i have no problems with them just eating them. reading the comments on the news article just baffled me though

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
:thup: Oh, That's the best news that I've ever heard :thup:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
So it's kind of like a butcher? Red Lobster has a tank of lobsters to be killed at my choosing, so I know it's fresh. No one's freaking out about that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.