Template Circle Spell Template

duyen

Reaction score
Basically, this creates a number of effects around you that deal damage to enemy units.

It's very fun to play around with =P

NOTE: This only allows up to 360 vertex's but you can adjust that.

NOTE: Don't use 360 vertex's because it lags REALLY bad.

Everything else is basically explained in the code

Outside Knowledge needed: Only 6th grade math.

Code:
Spell Template
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Circle Spell 
    Actions
        Set Wait = 0.00
        -------- The time between which effect and damage occurs. --------
        Set Offset = 550.00
        -------- The radius of the circle. --------
        Set VertexCount = 15
        -------- The number of vertices your "circle" has. --------
        Set Damage = 100.00
        -------- The damage each vertex does at level 1 --------
        Set DamageLevelFactor = 1.50
        -------- The increase in damage per level. --------
        Set Range = 100.00
        -------- The area that damage occurs around each vertex. --------
        Set RangeLevelFactor = 1.00
        -------- The change per level in range. --------
        Set Points[361] = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to VertexCount, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Set VertexConvert = ((Integer A) x (360 / VertexCount))
                Set Points[(Integer A)] = (Points[361] offset by Offset towards (Real(VertexConvert)) degrees)
                Special Effect - Create a special effect at Points[(Integer A)] using Abilities\Spells\Orc\WarStomp\WarStompCaster.mdl
                -------- This is the SFX that shows up at each vertex. --------
                Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
                Set Group = (Units within (Range x RangeLevelFactor) of Points[(Integer A)] matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True))
                Unit Group - Pick every unit in Group and do (Actions)
                    Loop - Actions
                        Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage (Picked unit), dealing (Damage x (((Real((Level of Circle Spell  for (Triggering unit)))) - 0.00) x DamageLevelFactor)) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
                        -------- This is type of damage --------
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_Points[bj_forLoopAIndex])
                Custom script:   call DestroyGroup(udg_Group)
                Wait Wait seconds
                -------- Disable this if you have "Wait" set to 0.00 --------
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_Points[361])

Here's an example screenie:
circletemplatescreeniefs6.png

Some ideas to make with this could be:

Ring of Fire
(Looking for more!)

Attachments

• Circle Spell Template.w3x
    16.4 KB · Views: 713

duyen

Reaction score
I made a JASS Version of this..I should post it

Cool, the reason I made this in GUI is because almost everybody knows how to use GUI but only about 15% of people on this forum really know how to use JASS.

Also thanks for the +rep

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Cool, the reason I made this in GUI is because almost everybody knows how to use GUI but only about 15% of people on this forum really know how to use JASS.

Also thanks for the +rep

Oh right I forgot +rep :p

Time to check your code

You missed a lot of conditions that might be of value
Example:

If the unit is a building?
If the unit is dead?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
seems like a reasonable template, but where is this actually used?
Code:
        Set Wait = 0.00
Waiting after the damage etc has taken place isnt exactly much use...
Also, you dont really need to set an array for the variables (i think) if there is only one trigger being used.
Just make a new variable for casters location and use Set Points (with no array) = CasterLoc offset by whatever. unless 2 units cast at exact same time, it wont overlap since all the trigger actions are taking place without any time in between.
Also, couldn't you have just used dummy units if you wanted to show how to scale the size of the special effects? Some people might like bigger/smaller effects than the wc3 effects default size.

in the end, its a reasonable template for showing how to make a perfectly simple circle and i guess thats the point... was there not a circle spell template already submitted?

edit: next time you're taking a screeny of something like that, use /fps just to show how badly it can lag when you use huge amount of points

duyen

Reaction score
Code:
        Set Wait = 0.00
Also, you dont really need to set an array for the variables (i think) if there is only one trigger being used.
Just make a new variable for casters location and use Set Points (with no array) = CasterLoc offset by whatever. unless 2 units cast at exact same time, it wont overlap since all the trigger actions are taking place without any time in between.
Also, couldn't you have just used dummy units if you wanted to show how to scale the size of the special effects? Some people might like bigger/smaller effects than the wc3 effects default size.

in the end, its a reasonable template for showing how to make a perfectly simple circle and i guess thats the point... was there not a circle spell template already submitted?

It's a loop, makes time before sfx and damage appears etc... try changeing it, see what happens.

I don't believe there was a circle template already submitted and circle spells are used in many maps.

I tried to use least variables possible but still make it user-friendly so I didn't use a "CasterPoint" because it was totally unnecessary

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Code:
        Set Wait = 0.00

edit: next time you're taking a screeny of something like that, use /fps just to show how badly it can lag when you use huge amount of points

That is because you want a small wait inside of that loop or you will get major lag all at once.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
I don't suppose you could tell me how you would do the same with a circle-type lightning effect ring?

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
I don't suppose you could tell me how you would do the same with a circle-type lightning effect ring?

You would need more than one points and make the lightning go from one point to another forming the circle

duyen

Reaction score
It dosen't make it user-unfriendly it means users have to use 1 more variable, and since you don't have to adjust it I see that it hardly would matter to you, it's only more trouble for me.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
Is it.. Multi --- Unit --- Instanceable?

duyen

Reaction score
Without waits

EDIT: It's been 48 hours... Why hasn't a mod commented\approved it.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
>>Without waits
What if I want to create some special effect to at least need to last 1 sec to see the visual effect? No more MUI?

*Note - There is some effect can be shown when you destroy them at the moment you create them.

>>It's been 48 hours... Why hasn't a mod commented\approved it.
MoD's are sleeping. :p

duyen

Reaction score
>>*Note - There is some effect can be shown when you destroy them at the moment you create them.

This is a tad bit random?

>>>It's been 48 hours... Why hasn't a mod commented\approved it.
MoD's are sleeping. :p[/QUOTE]

Lol

>What if I want to create some special effect to at least need to last 1 sec to see the visual effect? No more MUI?

Yup.

-------------------------------------

Oh right I forgot +rep :p

Time to check your code

You missed a lot of conditions that might be of value
Example:

If the unit is a building?
If the unit is dead?

If the unit is dead it takes the damage and it won't do anything so this dosen't matter and if it's a building you can add your own condition, in my example I want it to effect buildings.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> EDIT: It's been 48 hours... Why hasn't a mod commented\approved it.

Do not PM us with that kind of request please.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------

Nice customability, the user can do anything he wants with that template, as long as it's still a circle.

> Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability

Starts the effect of an ability.

I would have liked better a nova template or something that is more... spell-like.

This is just an explosion all around the caster.

Anyhow, approved. Just change the event.

duyen

Reaction score
Ok, I'll fix that soon and about PMing you I thought mods\admins were suppose to check new resources at most 48 hours after submitted? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Also I'm quite sorry if I sounded impatient.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.