Other Civil Battlefield

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Yet another map by me to add to the countless others that are no longer progressing as quickly as they once were. Exciting, eh?

Anyway, so while I wait for someone to complete their squad system for me to steal (he said it would be a couple more weeks or something I think. I don't really care though), I decided to form another map similar to the last one that I started that's awaiting the squad system.
This is a future map being based in part off Battlefield 2142 (the vehicle ideas I'm using will make it pretty obvious). Like the other map (Global Defense Initialization is what I think I called it on here, I forget though), this will feature the same kinds of system of combat (squads, units needed to operate vehicles, ect).
Unlike the other one, though, in this I'm making cities to act as the battlefield rather than the entire world.

You will be able to zoom out of the cities to a regional view (similar to that map called Solar Conquest or something, where you zoom out of the planet to the larger scale area), where you can then move your units to attack a different city.
I want to make the enviroments interactive, like in Company of Heroes, where you can order squads into buildings and they become defensive units. Because Warcraft obviously is NOT CoH or something similar, it's going to be more limited so you can't blow up the corner where the units are, make them fall down, then order your units into it and take it over. Which is unfortunate but you'll just have to deal with that.
Anyway, I want to make a system where it will recognize what kind of squad is in the building and then attack accordingly, but I don't know if I'm smart enough or if it's possible. It seems like it would be pretty easy though, doesn't it?

Instead of having barracks and all of those, each city will have a Pentagonish building that acts as the main training thing. So when you order something like a fighter jet, it will train and then later appear at that city's airport for you to then order to take off and go bomb another city or something.
I'm going to try and modify some of the other systems that I was using in another game called The Battlefield that I was working on before my combat system maker died or something so that you can control the planes directly as they attack instead of just treating them like other units, which is something I was supposed to do for GDI anyway.

I'm also going to try and make a population system which will define income. I am thinking that I'll add in a system like that in Heroes and Empires, where you can increase or decrease the tax. But I also want to make it so that there are only so many people within my miniworld, so people may move a different city depending on various factors, such as taxes, work/food rate stuff, defense of the city, things like that. So for instance, if Red sucks and has taxes at like 95% and puts the work rate to 24 hours a day, but meanwhile Blue has 30% income tax and 8 hour work days, then more people are going to live in Blue's cities than in Red's unless Blue gets nuked or something, in which case people are going to no longer want to live there.
I was also thinking that population may also dictate military abilities (for instance, you could assign some amount of your population increase into being reserved for military, which means every time you get a population increase some amount of them are not included in the total population but instead added to the total amount of military units you can train). But I don't know how to do that and don't know if it would be very much fun like that so I might not do it like that, you never know.

Anyway, post ideas, comments, and tell me how much I suck below.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
Yet another map by me to add to the countless others that are no longer progressing as quickly as they once were. Exciting, eh?

Anyway, post ideas, comments, and tell me how much I suck below.

Open invitation, nice.

Ok here's an idea.... if you know you're prone to create project threads for maps you never finish, then how about don't? Wait till a project is atleast around the 50% completion mark before you post it instead. That way you actually have something to show besides a wall of text, and you've proven your dedication to the project. On top of that, 50% isn't too far in to accept critique and change a few things, as well recieve new ideas for additional content.

It's a win/win situation... posting a thread first just makes people lazy, they already get the 'wow that sounds really cool' attention they want before they have even done anything.

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
An over-zealous map idea with the main maker having little experience in what he wants done.

I had a map idea a while back that was titled "Battle Arena" that had strong resemblance to "World In Conflict" but control 6 very customized units instead.
http://clanbom.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=284

The map never really 'died' instead it was slowly changed to fit restrictions and now is a Zombie Map.

To the above poster; it's a lose on his part because he can't get suggestions or criticism.

Varine

Reaction score
Open invitation, nice.

Ok here's an idea.... if you know you're prone to create project threads for maps you never finish, then how about don't? Wait till a project is atleast around the 50% completion mark before you post it instead. That way you actually have something to show besides a wall of text, and you've proven your dedication to the project. On top of that, 50% isn't too far in to accept critique and change a few things, as well recieve new ideas for additional content.

It's a win/win situation... posting a thread first just makes people lazy, they already get the 'wow that sounds really cool' attention they want before they have even done anything.

Because this way I can get feedback as to whether or not I should, and how I should, continue before contributing however much effort to them only to decide that someone else has a better idea and therefore be required to go back and change everything necessary to implement whatever idea that is.

It's not like I stop working on them. I usually get relatively close to completion, then require some kind of a system or something that I don't know how to make, and then I get another idea and begin working on that while working on whatever else I need to get done for the other map. The majority of them are interconnected, although as you have no idea of what the conditions are upon which I stop working on something I wouldn't have the expectations that you understand why or what it is that caused such an event to happen.

Currently, I am awaiting someone to finish a squad system that I need, and as that person has informed me of the conditions on which he (or she, I think it's a he though) had stopped progress for the time being and will then continue once it's resolved to an adequate point, I am incapable of furthering progress on GDI.
For the one entitled The Battlefield and the two that I'm making alongside it, I require a combat system, which I, not being very adapt at JASS, am incapable of suddenly making, and therefore I am forced to learn that language so that I am able to make one and then continue on with finishing the map. And as learning that becomes relatively boring, I started a new project, which requires a lot of models that I'm currently working on.

You see, it's not like I just give up on most of them. They're all nearing completion, just as I intended for them when I began to work on them, however roadblocks arise and until I am capable of circumventing them they aren't going anywhere. And progress goes just as slowly when I'm not doing anything else save working tirelessly on trying to get it done. Why? Because I get bored, and when I get bored I don't care about what I'm doing, which means progress would soon after stop because I don't feel like doing it anymore, which would probably mean it would get done even slower than the way I do things currently.

Good idea, though. In the future, however, why don't you just let me decide how I go about completing things that are mine? Unless of course you would like to critique everything about how I live, because your ways probably will be far more effective than mine, since I probably, over the past 20 years, haven't found what ways of doing things works and don't work for me.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
Good idea, though. In the future, however, why don't you just let me decide how I go about completing things that are mine? Unless of course you would like to critique everything about how I live, because your ways probably will be far more effective than mine, since I probably, over the past 20 years, haven't found what ways of doing things works and don't work for me.

I was just doing you a favour by saying it how it is, your projects keep popping up and falling to the wayside because you have no motivation outside of the thread. You're not getting much in the way of positive feedback because noone wants to see the same user creating multiple projects with nothing in the way of actual progress.... a concept design doesn't count as a project.

If you sit down and work on something for yourself, without anyone elses input then you are more likely to find you can successfully complete it because it is not relying on anyone else. If you fail again, then noone needs to know about it so you can just get back up and start it all over. It's less disheartening to you and less of an eyesore to everyone else.

To say your projects are ongoing isn't true either. I guarantee the majority of them haven't been worked on in a long time but because you still have the work saved on your computer and one day could get back to it if you felt like it, you consider it 'ongoing'. Your best bet is to focus on a single project and complete it, it doesn't matter if the 20 others use similar systems. If you fully complete one then at the end of the day you are going to have a completed maps worth of systems to use in your related games... instead of a bunch of junk maps that are going nowhere.

...and no, despite your request I'm not going to life coach you, I'm happy to be the stand-alone arrogant pretty boy muscle machine (SAAPBMM) I am and don't really need the rising competition of having a replicate protege.

oh and windex I have no problem with posting a concept if the true intent is to gain some criticism and feedback so that you can ultimately work on the project to its fullest extent... it's just varine has a habit of leaving everything at the concept stage. He should have a rough idea of what he wants to do by now...

Varine it's not like your a noob or an idiot like some of the people who just mass project threads with no intent of doing anything, you're more then capable of making something worthwhile. You just need to get self motivated and not rely on others input. Try to get a major system or some sort of terrain completed first as a base point, so you have something to use to demonstrate the maps progress and your dedication. You'll get much better feedback that way.

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
Concerning the idea, if you want buildings to be enterable, just change their collision size to 0, maybe use pathing blockers so you can only enter by door or something like that. Then just place a dummy unit with devotion aura in the building for the increased defence from being in a building.

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
Concerning the idea, if you want buildings to be enterable, just change their collision size to 0, maybe use pathing blockers so you can only enter by door or something like that. Then just place a dummy unit with devotion aura in the building for the increased defence from being in a building.

Would something like an orc burrow work?

Regarding the motivation issue, I find it helps to set a deadline to finish a map, within a month or two. They won't be perfect maps, but the perfect is the enemy of the good. (Or in this case, the existent.)

Varine

Reaction score
Regarding the motivation issue, I find it helps to set a deadline to finish a map, within a month or two. They won't be perfect maps, but the perfect is the enemy of the good.

There are things that come up requiring I leave my house for long periods of time unexpectedly, which makes it kind of hard to do things like that. I used to try to do similar things, but I've since given up setting goals that are spread out over a few months, because I'll get a call and have to leave for a few weeks and get a two, maybe three day notice. I do day by day goals, but it I can't really progress too fast when I run into the obstacles that I do (namely the systems that I don't know how to make).

Once I get the systems done (there are four that I need), which I assure you with relative certainty would get done no faster if I didn't work on any other maps, then I'd be able to finish them pretty fast.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.