Civilization Wars

Dangime

Reaction score
(I'm updating the game files. It's really come along way and most of the changes are just refinements at this point. Try it out.)

This is the map I am currently working on Civilization Wars.

If you are familar with tech wars, you'll understand the basic idea behind this game. Unit spawns are setup and creeps venture forth to the other side of the map to kill your opponenets, who are trying to do the same to you. Along the way you take control of various resources which provide bonuses, extra food, special units, bonus income, all of which can change the flow of the battle.

However instead of a simple paper-scissors-rock "tank" beats "rifle" beats "helo" beats "tank" battle scheme, you are asked to lead your group of warriors through a massive tech tree starting from the beginning of history to the modern era. Primative warriors give way to riders and phalanxes, who are surpassed eventually by knights, and longbowmen, and so forth. Keeping your force balanced for the demands of the battlefield in the changing eras is a unique team effort. There's nearly 40 custom technologies to research, each providing a new unit, a special bonus, new structure, or other possiblity to grow more or hurt the enemy worse.

The game can be won through strategic control of the land, wiping out your enemy, or completing the tech tree and building a spaceport, much like the game civilization itself.

The game also features a strategy mode where your team collects points for each strategicly valuable area they hold, can win if they hold all of them for a set period of time. This forces players out of the middle to try to control all areas of the map or risk falling behind. All in all, if you like to concept of Tech Wars, or Preschool Wars, or probably any similar "wars" style game. You should try out civilization wars. Also if you are into the game civilization itself you will find alot of the game is familar to you and will appricate its detail and complexity.

I'm getting close to the end of adding the base content. Anyway if you get a chance tell me what you think. Thanks

Attachments

• techtree.JPG
    techtree.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 6,087
  • Civilization Wars v0.76b.w3x
    158.2 KB · Views: 794

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
You're going to have to do better than that to get people interested... :rolleyes:

(the description, that is)

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
I heart this game, Dangime. I heart it hard.

So please don't take any of the criticism below in a negative way. These are just the things I think could stand to be improved upon, to make a good game great.

1. Spelling errors. I know it's small, but before re-release, check your tooltips for the following words: granary, granaries, galleys (yes, the plural just has an "s"), vulnerable, devastate, ancient, siege, straits, and feudalism (which occurs a few times and is misspelled only once).

2. Also not a big deal, but I was wondering if you could change the names of your towers; everything else conforms pretty well to real-life history (except for the Cutter Saints...). For example, Ancient Tower=Watchtower, Improved Tower=Bailey, Superior Tower=Keep, Siege Gun Tower=simply Gun Tower, or Fortification or something.

3. Get some custom models and/or skins.

4. The quest button flashes at the beginning of the game, but there are no quests! Perhaps you could include information about the game as a "quest"; just reminders about how much gold you get from the plains, for instance.

5. I'm not sure Savages and Cutter Saints (especially Cutter Saints) are necessary. The other units and buildings could apply to any civilization, from Spain to Japan; drug-crazed berserkers seem to have been mainly a European thing, and the stereotyped "Asian warrior monks" were rare even in Tibet and China. Also, they also don't add much to the game; Savages don't exhibit any of their "special powers", so they just end up as weaker Warriors.

6. Love the two-for-one Peasants, but their village shouldn't be able to upgrade to every other kind of infantry building. It should upgrade to something special, like...a grenadier barracks in the Industrial Age, and maybe a Marine boot camp in the Modern Age. You would still be able to get two at each spawn, but they would be weaker and shorter-ranged than their counterparts. (Yes, this would mean that Longbowmen could only upgrade to Riflemen...)

7. There are too many ports! The Privateer Den should simply upgrade to a Galleon Port.

8. I don't think medics should be able to attack at all. Their attack is already too weak to be worth it; making the attack stronger would make them too much like actual fighting units.

9. Bunkers can be built without researching Physics, contrary to what the Physics tooltip says.

10. A lot of the modern buildings are unavailable; there just isn't enough room in the Modern Villager's build menu!

11. To help with that problem, I think you can afford to get rid of the Spaceport. Either make it an upgrade of a pre-existing building like...the Rail Station or something, or else get rid of it altogether. From my experience, most games don't reach the Modern Age anyway.

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
Good map idea.
I have played Civilization III, and it's great!!!!
If you can actually do all those upgrades of CIII, I would be playing this map until my mid fifties!!!

Dangime

Reaction score
1. If only there was a spell checker. I went through and got some of the obvious ones, but really the tool tips will need revamping at some point, but untill everything solidifies (and I think it will soon, there's no more constants to mess with) I'll redo the tool tips for everything and check them in word first.

2. If it helps with the illusion.

3. I definately would like some custom graphics for this game. This is only my 2nd effort in map making and I have 0 skill in graphics modification. Most of the units are ok, but there's a few that could really be distinguished better, modern stuff mainly.

4. Yes, I hear making the new triggers for newb help is easy so I'll look into it.

5. The abilities of savages and cutters aren't appricated since it's not offically documented. They have cleave attack with a range of 200 and 30% splash. I've actually gotten complaints that the "bottom isn't good enough" and I need to do more to make the bottom resource interesting.

6. Grens got added since there wasn't really an alternative to rifleman in the early industrial. So now Cavalry-Rifles-Grenadiers have some counter action going on. The idea for peasants initially was a time saver for new expansion. It costs and fights about the same as an upgraded ancient camp, but takes half as long to build. It's kind of the "warrior camp" of the medieval and industrial eras. It serves that purpose pretty well, so I don't know if I want to change it.

7. Galleons are a special unit that I can't just feed to the upgrade chain. They are actually worse fighters than caravels, but land 2 units instead of 1 if they make it to land. This branch of the ship tech has kind of gotten neglected. I think I'm going to add a transport with steam power or something so that it can have at least one upgrade.

8. This might be a wrong assumption, but I thought if I gave a unit no attack, it would simply wander through the middle of the battle, ignore the enemy forces and try to stand next to the enemy capital. By having at least a little bit of an attack it allows them to stay near the troops they ought to be healing, rather than getting owned running around.

9. Yup bunkers need fixing. I had been having a hard time finding opponents to test that far ^_^.

10. Most of the modern buildings have to built through upgrades at this point, you're right.

11. Spaceport is kind of important, since it can win the game for you. Making it an upgrade also means you can't help finish it with more workers I think.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. ^_^ I'll be putting out more fixes soon. If anyone wants to help on the graphics front that'd be great.

Dangime

Reaction score
New version is up. I added an upgrade for the corsair and found a glaring problem with shock damage that was making them useless versus riders. Shock vs Riders should now be much more equal since they are not each others counter. Also piercing damage now does a little bit less damage to medium and heavy armor, but a bit more to riders. It seemed like the archer/horseman combo was a bit too dominate a strategy so I'd like to see how the new dynamic plays out.

Reaction score
awesome map mate :) love it to bits, especially the space race win. omg when i saw that i was like wow very nice addition :D

anyways just a suggetion....
make the space taken by the library/university/lab take less space.... its takes up so much space n cramps everything in... so you have to build outside which is dangerous, if you're getting pushed :p
add more modern units coz they all come into the mech inf? was it? cant rememebr but they all come into that one unit then branched out again just like with the rifles... how do pikemen become rifle men :confused: :p jus sayin XD

oh and you shold redo your tech tree pic up there ^^^ its abit... dodgy XD hard to read :p

anyways love your map, love civ, you rock :)

EDIT:: you also need have higher upgrades for towers.... they get owned by boats after chemistry...

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
I liked the fact that towers aren't as useful after in the Industrial and Modern ages; fortifications became a lot less important after that whole "Maginot Line" thing.

When my Battlenet connection works (which is very rarely these days), I am seeing the space win used more often, so I was wrong about that.

Dangime

Reaction score
Yeah I am a bit worried that every good ship battle seems to have ended with chemistry. I hope having the boarding crew around makes the difference between caravels and frigates less of a shock, since they come in between.

Also if I could have gotten my do-nothing bank heavy techer to make me a few bunkers I probably could have restablished a balance. I told him way before it became an issue. :)

But...eventually ships need to get seige damage. Although I lost the sea front that game, we still won. I think my ally ended up making a lot of striker airbases. :)

For late game changes cavalry is going to be able to upgrade to fighters so its not a dead end unit. I'm thinking red baron and stuff like that there, so that should work. Also in the modern era machine gunners basicly become the base unit. You "could" upgrade them all to tanks, but then you'd have no air cover. You could upgrade them all to fighters, but then if the other guy just makes more infantry than you, you're toast.

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
I suppose you could have a regular soldier with an assault rifle like an M-16 or AK-47, and also a SAW gunner with a heavy machine gun. Some units could upgrade to the soldier, and some to the gunner...

Dangime

Reaction score
I just want to thank everyone for their support so far, and for hosting my game on battlenet. It's a pretty cool feeling to see your map get hosted by people online. I attached a new version. Thanks again.

P

Persianguy

Dangime, I love your map. I have played Warcraft since the original Warcraft 1 orcs vs. humans, I have played it to WC 2, 3, TFT, have 4 60s in WoW, have played Dark Age of Camelot, Anarchy Online, and even the first games like Wolfenstien and the Black Cauldron for the mac, and I have to say, your game is awesome.

I love it. Games like "Border Real Conflict" or the "TK"-something tech wars, incorporates more of a rush war. People rush mindlessly spamming up infantry huts and tanks, with no real thought process at all. But with your game, it requires alot of thinking. Should I get this currency upgrade? Or upgrade that dock to produce raiders? What if I don't get either and just tech? Or should I build markets/banks? It requires decision making that makes the game so interesting.

I have sat endlessly sometimes waiting for someone to host it, and I hope your map gets more popularity so that it can be seen as often, if not more than DOTA.

People have picked on you about typos in the tooltips or what not, those things don't matter to me. When Im playing Wc3, im not playing a spelling game, I don't care if someone mispells "grain" or whatever. The only problem i've seen was on one occassion. An individual developed a strategy by building graneries in a certain maze way, they could send out troops en masse. The units were blocked by graneries and the persons builders, so they would have to maze out, resulting in a mass army coming forth. I think this is a simple pathing problem which you can fix later on.

Anyway, I love how you designed the sea conflict too. How when the other teams' sea fails, the boats deploy units, so that way it's more than the seas' resources that are being fought for.

Towers are overpowered in a way, but they need to be. The fight fluctuates to each side, so it's good the towers are strong enough to withstand a large force, or else the game would be over too quickly. I think that endgame towers get destroyed easier, but that's probably working as intended, since if towers could become super buff end-game, we'd have a never-ending tech/lag-fest lol.

Anyway, im happy to speak to the genius who developed this fantastic game, and as soon as I get this firewall figured out, I will host it.

P

Persianguy

Im all for custom skins too, although the current ones suffice for me.

I can send you a list of skin ideas for most of the units, if you'd like it, just email me at [email protected]

Dangime

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've been able to improve the map and work out a lot of the bugs since previous editions. I guess I'll update this thread's version. Honestly a lot of the development chatter has moved to its own form, it's got something like 200 posts. I've gotten a lot of good feedback from people.

G

gErMzY

Civi 1.02 Bugged

Hey Dangimes, i loved ur game, esp the new Civi 2.0 its cool!!! But hey here is a bugged in CIVI 1.02 you should see.

The sea landing changing from ships to units stucked the entire army resulting in the whole western army not moving and end up we lost -.-

Attachments

• COMP SUCKS.w3g
    968 KB · Views: 361
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.