[Classroom] GUI 101

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Alright, I'll add you to the list... I think you should read the first lessons to catch up with us because we are already on the 4th. Just read the first lesson on the first page then look through the other pages to find the other lessons. :D

N

Norava

1-2

heres assignments 1 and 2 plz if u can chck the triggers on the map

oh ya btw like i said im making a loap so wat do u think a good way to terrain the city is? and also how do i make a starting point that makes it so u dont have to have a town hall?

and im not quite sure as how you go about doing lesson 3

Attachments

• Assignments 1-2.w3x
    17.3 KB · Views: 201

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
I think they are correct... (The Assignments) gj. :D

For terraining a LOAP map, I think you should do all of these:
- Look at a LOAP map to see their terrain
- Browse the cityscape tiles and doodads
- Read terrain tutorials here
- Read 2-P's amazing advanced terraining tutorial that is stickied in the tutorial repository

To remove the buildings and peons etc., delete the whole melee initialization trigger by right clicking it then clicking "Delete".

Don't worry about lesson 3, it may seem confusing. Just wait until the next lesson and you can do that one. :)

N

Norava

I think they are correct... (The Assignments) gj. :D

For terraining a LOAP map, I think you should do all of these:
- Look at a LOAP map to see their terrain
- Browse the cityscape tiles and doodads
- Read terrain tutorials here
- Read 2-P's amazing advanced terraining tutorial that is stickied in the tutorial repository

To remove the buildings and peons etc., delete the whole melee initialization trigger by right clicking it then clicking "Delete".

Don't worry about lesson 3, it may seem confusing. Just wait until the next lesson and you can do that one. :)

oh sweet thx and when I said terrain I meant did u have any ideas to submit

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Yo purge I don't have the opportunity to do this lesson, but be sure to reference to the GUI actions index (or something similar) it has every action and what fields can be modified and what to n stuff.. It could be useful.

N

Norava

btw

Oh ya btw how do you make a multi layered map (like in life of a colonist(LoaC)) where you walk up to a zone and it teleports you to a zone that isnt just another part of the map

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Well actually it probably does teleport you to another part of the map, then locks your camera bounds to that part of the map so that's all you see on the minimap.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Oh ya btw how do you make a multi layered map (like in life of a colonist(LoaC)) where you walk up to a zone and it teleports you to a zone that isnt just another part of the map

Though this is a classroom, I think that you should post all your queries in multiple threads in the World Editor Help Zone. :D

@Everyone who is attending: Well, sorry, I guess that the next lesson will be later on. I will notify all students by PM of the 4th lesson when it is finished, I am just busy this weekend; that's why.

Sorry. :(

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
Question

When removing leaks do you have to remove them if the trigger runs only one time?

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
When removing leaks do you have to remove them if the trigger runs only one time?

Two points on this one:
1. Bit bad formulated^^

2. Depends. For example you might wanna create a certain point to order units to attack it. (In all defense maps, p.e.) Then you create it at map init, and save it in a variable ( so it is no leak ), and aftwerwards order the unit to attck the variable point, it is much more efficient then creating a point and removing it afterwards each time you loop the attacks...

If it is a memory leak, you allways should remove it. Leaks are allways bad.
Leaks happen when you let something in your memory be untargetable ( = unreachable ). If you create something wich you cannot refer to afterwards you created a leak. Nothing does leak just becouse it is a point or a playergroup or something like that^^

Greetings Serra

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Erhm, I dunno what Serra said I was too lazy to read it (>_<)
But to sum up..
You must remove a variable before it is set again (well variables that leak of course), or else that will produce a leak.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Lol... Actually that is on-topic. Yes, I will announce who got the best and give the rep on Friday or Saturday. :)

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
Code:
Challenges Lesson 3
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set PoopG = (Units currently selected by Player 1 (Red))
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in PoopG and do (Do nothing)
        Custom script:   Call DestroyGroup(udg_PoopG)
        Set Loc = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at PoopL facing Default building facing degrees
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_PoopL)
        Set Unit = (Triggering unit)
        Set Loc = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Custom script:   call RemoveLoc (udg_PooperL)
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Special Effect - Destroy Special[(Integer A)]
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                (Level of Acid Bomb for (Triggering unit)) Equal to 7
            Then - Actions
                Unit - Kill (Triggering unit)
            Else - Actions

Code:
Assignment Lesson 3
    Events
        Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to War Stomp
    Actions
        Set Pooper = (Casting unit)
        Set PoopG = (Units within 1000.00 of (Position of Pooper))
        Set Loc = (Position of Pooper)
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                (Level of War Stomp for Pooper) Equal to 3
            Then - Actions
                For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
                    Loop - Actions
                        Special Effect - Create a special effect at PoopL using Abilities\Spells\Human\ThunderClap\ThunderClapCaster.mdl
                Unit Group - Pick every unit in PoopG and do (Unit - Explode (Picked unit))
            Else - Actions
                Game - Display to (Player group((Triggering player))) the text: Level 3 or Higer is...
This creates a ultimate warstop if your ability is level 3 (Max level)

Yay I did the HW before you did the next lesson!
No complaints on how easy the lesson was this time lol.

If theres anything wrong with it plz tell me.

One thing i dont get is the special effect array... whats the purpose of having that 1-10 special effect array? To create 10 different effects? So i just created one effect using warstop.

I expect complaints from posting my sig like that.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
PurgeandFire is a busy busy man.

Edit > Child***

:p

Anyways, purge, I would help again but I am loaded with year end projects...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.