Tutorial Complete Guide To Items

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
First of all note that this tutorial will not teach you how to use items. It teaches you how to make nice and fancy items in Warcraft 3 World Editor. If you are interested please read on.

Note: This tutorial uses World Editor. I don’t know if it will work with other versions of World Editor (Unlimited)

Contents
How to make a Basic Item
Editing the Item
Spell Based Items
Stacking Items
Triggers
Comments
Credits

How to make a Basic Item

I suppose you already have world editor open before you wish to stat learning. Open up the object editor by pressing F6. After opening the object editor click on the items tab.
You should see a lot of items that Blizzard already made.

it001.jpg

Click on the item “Claws of Attack +12”. Take a look at the fields you can edit. The first one on top should be Abilities. Right now its on +12 Item Damage Bonus. This field determines what the item can do or is used for. Also if you wanted an item that can cast a spell you can add it there too.

To make an item just right click the item pallet and press New Custom Item.
it002.jpg

A box should pop up with a bunch of pictures and a text box. The text box is where you name the item. And the icons are what you base the item on.
it003.jpg

A list of items you should base an item on.

Claws of Attack – Weapons
Crown of Kings – Armor
Tiny Castle – Deployable Buildings
Potion of Healing – Potions
Goblin Land Mines – Bombs
Healing Wards – Wards
Demonic Figurine – Summons
Warsong Battle Drums – Buffs, Aura
Wand of the Wind – Spells
More to be added…

Now you are probably wondering “How do I make an item do this or that?”
But calm down. First you have to know what each field does, or at least the most important ones. Here is a basic list of them.

Abilities – What an item does. For example, on Claws of Attack +12 you can see that under abilities it is Item Damage Bonus +12.

Interface Icon – That determines the icon of the item when in your inventory slots or when being sold from a merchant.

Model Used – This is how the item looks when on the ground or in playing fields. Most items are the treasure chest. But if you ever played Survival Maps like Island Troll Tribes or Ice Troll Tribes you noticed that most of their items had real models.

Stats – Can be Sold to Merchant – This determines if a player can sell the item to a merchant.

Stats – Can be sold by Merchant – This determines if a merchant can sell this to a player.

Gold Cost – How much it costs to buy it from a merchant. Selling it will give half the amount.

Spell Based Items

Spell based items are items that can cast spells. For example if you were making a RPG you could have each different type of staff cast a different type of magic. So a Fire Staff would cast fire bolt. In this section you will learn how to create different types of Spell Based Items. Let’s start with Fire Bolt.

Open up your object editor and click on the ability tab. Press Ctrl + F and type in Fire Bolt. It should bring you to Firebolt (Hostile Neutral). Find where it says Stats – Item Ability and check the box making it true. This allows you to put the ability on a item.

it004.jpg

Then go back to the Item tab and create a new item based on Wand of the Wind. Change the ability from Cyclone (Item) to Firebolt (Hostile Neutral). You can change the tool tips of the item to your newly made Fire Staff.

Stacking Items

Many times when playing maps you will find it annoying that you can’t stack potions or that you run out of inventory space because of duplicates of one item. This can be solved with a triggers that stack items.

Code:
Unit Acquires Item
    Events
        Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    Conditions
        (Charges remaining in (Item being manipulated)) Not equal to 0
    Actions
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to 6, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        (Item-type of (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) in slot (Integer A))) Equal to (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))
                        (Charges remaining in (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) in slot (Integer A))) Less than (Item level of (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) in slot (Integer A)))
                        (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) in slot (Integer A)) Not equal to (Item being manipulated)
                    Then - Actions
                        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                            If - Conditions
                                ((Charges remaining in (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) in slot (Integer A))) + (Charges remaining in (Item being manipulated))) Greater than (Item level of (Item being manipulated))
                            Then - Actions
                                Item - Set charges remaining in (Item being manipulated) to (((Charges remaining in (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) in slot (Integer A))) + (Charges remaining in (Item being manipulated))) - (Item level of (Item being manipulated)))
                                Item - Set charges remaining in (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) in slot (Integer A)) to (Item level of (Item being manipulated))
                            Else - Actions
                                Item - Set charges remaining in (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) in slot (Integer A)) to ((Charges remaining in (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) in slot (Integer A))) + (Charges remaining in (Item being manipulated)))
                                Item - Remove (Item being manipulated)
                    Else – Actions.

Comments:

"Great Tutorial, Thanks for writing!"
- Holypalidan

Credits…

Written By: Oninuva
Screenshots By: Oninuva

Thank you to Ayumi for telling me it was fishy… and thanks to Gamerz-Forum.Com for hosting my images!

Thanks to SFlip for stacking trigger.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Huh, my friend gave me the exact trigger over MSN...

Either way, then all it is not done by you...:p

Sorry for a big quote, but chapter 17 explains the basics. (If not to consider the whole tutorial explains the most basic things.):p
Tinki3 said:
17.Items in the Object Editor

Abilities- Abilities: What abilities the item can have
Art- Button Position (X) Works the same as a hero ability button position when the item is in a shop, and only when an item is in a shop.
Art- Button Position (Y) " " "
Art- Interface Icon What icon is assigned to the item
Art- Model Used What the item looks like when it is on the ground. eg: treasure chest
Art- Scaling Value How big the item's model file looks when it is on the ground
Art- Selection Size- Editor: How big the selection scale of the item is in the World Editor.
Art- Tinting Color 1 (Red): How much of the color red is in the model file of the item
Art- Tinting Color 2 (Green): How much of the color green is in the model file of the item
Art- Tinting Color 3 (Blue): How much of the color blue is in the model file of the item
Combat- Armor Type The armour type of the item(only used when the item is on the ground)
Stats- Activley Used True: 1 of the abilities of the item is castable. False: the abilities of the item are all passive or the item has no abilities
Stats- Can Be Dropped If False: the item cannot be dropped
Stats- Can Be Sold By Merchants If False: the item cannot be sold by merchants
Stats- Can Be Sold To Merchants If False: the item cannot be sold to merchants
Stats- Classification How the item is categorised in the object editor
Stats- Cooldown Group What cooldown group the item is in after it uses a castable ability like shockwave
Stats- Dropped When Carrier Dies If False: the item will not drop when the carrier dies
Stats- Gold Cost How much gold is needed to purchase the item
Stats- Hit Points How much life the item has when it is on the ground
Stats- Ignore Cooldown If False: after a castable ability of that item is used, the ability will need to cooldown as hero abilities do
Stats- Include As A Random Choice Used for item tables
Stats- Level The level of the item
Stats- Level(Unclassified) The level of the item that is used if the above Stats have been set to 0
Stats- Lumber Cost How much lumber is needed to purchase the item
Stats- Number Of Charges: How many times the castable abilities of the item can be used
Stats- Perishable If False: the item will not be destroyed after all charges have been used
Stats- Priority Not Important
Stats- Stock Maximum The quantity that the item can be reached to when in stock
Stats- Stock Replenish Interval How long the item takes to replenish it's stock after been purchased
Stats- Stock Start Delay How much time it takes before the item is in stock
Stats- Use Automatically When Acquired Automatically used when it is acquired.(It doesn't matter whether tomes have this stat as true OR false; the hero will always be able to gain +1 str,agi,int if the tome has the tome ability for that stat increase)
Stats- Valid For Target Transformation Not sure, however, this option is not needed 99% of the time
Stats- Techtree Requirements If Yes: do you need an Orc Fortress to use this item?
Stats- Techtree Requirements- Levels: What levels of tech are used for the above Stats. In this examples's case, 3
Text- Description Tells the user what the item is capable of
Text- Hotkey What hotkey is used to purchase the item
Text- Name The name of the item
Text- Tooltip- Basic Example: Purchase Boots Of Speed
Text- Tooltip- Extended What description the user sees when he is looking at the item in a shop

Oninuva

Reaction score
I spent much time doing this and I think its ok... for my first tutorial..

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I know, I am a bad person, but I did not want to offend you any way.;)

The tutorial is OK for (total) beginners.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Indeed...did you know that some people actually take other people's work and claim it as their own?

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
So many mean people in the world... ~.~

ˇOmg I now know what is my additional instinct- I can sence "Right Click" tutorials. Please try to understand writing tutorials isn' t a creating bad map in World Editor, people do waste their time on reading these "how to click on button" tutorials and just can' t find answers what they really are looking for ! It is becoming already insulting that you try to explane basic of basics and then just skip the whole idea of title. Placing your name on a screenshot and then "copyrighting" it was just perfect when you at same time stealed credits from mod ? Nice one ! I really have to consider stealing some of your "tutorial" parts (JK) beacause they seem to be so perfectly made (Nobody in world could match that kind of informative tutorial like you have).

Oninuva

Reaction score
Dude what you just said made no sense. From my point of understanding you are saying that I "stole" the tutorial?

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
You just used one trigger what was made by SFilip and added almost everywhere your name so people could not "steal" your work ? And you "didn' t find" or "didn' t know" that trigger creator at first place was SFilip so you just skiped the "I took one trigger from somewhere and added here for nice illustration" part out and just added to the end made by Oninuva ? :D You can suprise me... Point is that you are conserned about your' s credits while other' s credits dosn' t interest you- looks like a unfair play to me.
And I would never think that this tutorial is stolen from SFilip, even in my wildest dreams...

Oninuva

Reaction score
Well, if you actually read all the posts before yours I stated that a friend gave me the trigger. And he does not want credits because he has already quit Wc3 Modding

WC3_map_fan

Reaction score
Hello, the tutorial was great but it has no information about when you pick an item up a special effect is created on its hand such as a sword! please add to your previouse posts when you cna gather this information

WC3_map_fan, if possible, don't quote the whole tutorial on you posts. Thank You :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.