Computer Lagging and shuts off

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
I'm currently running a windows 7 computer which I made three years ago. Ever since the windows update yesterday, my computer has been running quite loudly, and it lags a lot. I just cleared my registry so it doesn't seem to randomly shut off, but the computer has been lagging. Before, the computer would shut off every few minutes, and it would lag. What should I do to fix this?

SOLVED:
It turns out that my original power supply failed and only had enough power to run the fans in my computer. I replaced it with a new antec 750 W power supply, and I still had the same problem. It turns out that I neglected to put a 2x4 12 V connector into the CPU power slot on my motherboard, which made the computer fail to run. After a few test runs, my computer is back up and running!!!! wooohoo!!! Also, I used thermal compound remover and purifier to clean my cpu/heat sink fan, and then reapplied new thermal compound to make sure it worked! Hope this helps anyone in the future who has the same problem!

EDIT:
New problem!
So my computer is running and can surf the web and everything, but i decided to system restore and redownload some stuff. And throughout this, i notice how much slower the computer is now than it used to be. I have to wait an entire one or two seconds just to change websites. There's frame lag when I play Amenisia, which there used to not be.
I checked my Cpu temps, and it's at around 72 C at idle, which is really high(using bios)
I did apply thermal paste to it before and i lifted up the cpu fan to check it and spread it out a little more with a q tip. The problem still persists and my computer is slow, my cpu temps are high, and my comp has loud fan noises! What do I do!!!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
you should be able to go and un-do the update - my guess is that it "updated" some sort of driver with a generic driver that is newer (yet worse for your particular device) - it happens, so when you refresh the list of updates, "hide" that update so it doesn't occur again in the future

YourFace

Reaction score
you should be able to go and un-do the update - my guess is that it "updated" some sort of driver with a generic driver that is newer (yet worse for your particular device) - it happens, so when you refresh the list of updates, "hide" that update so it doesn't occur again in the future

That could be because there weren't really any problems yesterday. However, over the past month or so, my computer would shut off randomly once every few days. Now, i can turn it on and the fans and whole computer has power but nothing shows up on the screen, and I don't hear the beep which signals the computer is working

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
what does the event log say? any dump files? (if you can't turn it on, move it's hard drive into another system to read this, or potentially boot off of a linux disk)

YourFace

Reaction score
I haven't moved the HDD yet to check, but I used CCleaner to clear my registry issues yesterday
Yeah I can't turn on my computer. All the fans and lights turn on, but there is nothing on the monitor nor a beep so it doesn't boot. I don't know if clearing dump files in my hard drive will actually fix this problem.

I just tested my computer. I unplugged and took everything out except the cpu, mobo, some of the plugs from my case, case fans, and psu. There's still no beep, which leads me to conclude that my cpu or mobo or psu might be the problem. Thus I took this picture of my cpu, doesn't look burnt but idk.

I removed the cpu cooler with much ease. I don't think there's any paste between the cooler and cpu anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 377

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
if it won't get past the bios, it's not anything installed on the hard drive - have you tried taking out the CMOS battery for a few hours and letting the bios settings re-set?

re-applying the paste wouldn't be a bad idea either, use some rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab to remove to old stuff

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
Rebuild the computer from scratch. Make sure the CPU and the heat sink are both as clean as you can get them. I suggest using Isopropyl Alcohol to remove the old thermal paste. Use lint-free cloth or cotton buds to remove the old residue. Check you have plugged in all of the cables as well. I had a similar problem where the computer would boot but it wouldn't reach the BIOS. The problem was that the 24-pin ATX power was plugged in to the motherboard, but the 4-pin power next to the CPU wasn't plugged in. Hopefully your computer will work soon.

YourFace

Reaction score
I tried to test everything out again after I removed the cmos battery, but now the the psu is having trouble with its fan. When everything turns on, the motherboard and cpu doesn't have power, and I hear this clicking noise from the power supply. The noise is from the fan from the psu not being able to start, but attempting to start.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
do you by any chance have a multimeter that you can use to test the voltages from the PSU? (the 12 volt rail would be the suspect, as most fans are 12v)

YourFace

Reaction score
do you by any chance have a multimeter that you can use to test the voltages from the PSU? (the 12 volt rail would be the suspect, as most fans are 12v)

I dont =/. Do you think i have to replace my mobo, cpu, and psu?

YourFace

Reaction score
I would start with just the PSU

When this all started, my computer lagged a lot, do you think this might be because my cpu overheated?

Btw which psu should i buy? I think 750 watts is good...

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
When this all started, my computer lagged a lot, do you think this might be because my cpu overheated?

Btw which psu should i buy? I think 750 watts is good...

what are your components? I would worry more about getting a good brand PSU then the wattage

possibly CPU-heat related, hard to tell without knowing the temperatures

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score

YourFace

Reaction score
I just got a new PSU and thermal paste / remover / purifier.
I cleaned up all the old residue from the old thermal paste and applied the new thermal compound onto the CPU and i set up the PSU
All the fans are working and the computer made this pretty loud fan running noise that signaled everything was running, but i STILL don't get a Beep when the computer turns on. Nothing appears on the screen and essentially it's still very broken. I tried misplacing the ram a bit so the computer would at least get an error and have a beep that signaled the ram was installed incorrectly, but still no ram!!
Now what do I do =/?!!!

EDIT: SOLVED!!!!!!@!!!!!
It turns out that i neglected to put a 2x 4 12V connector into my CPU power slot, which made it fail t boot, now it works!!!

EDIT:
New problem!
So my computer is running and can surf the web and everything, but i decided to system restore and redownload some stuff. And throughout this, i notice how much slower the computer is now than it used to be. I have to wait an entire one or two seconds just to change websites. There's frame lag when I play Amenisia, which there used to not be.
I checked my Cpu temps, and it's at around 72 C at idle, which is really high(using bios)
I did apply thermal paste to it before and i lifted up the cpu fan to check it and spread it out a little more with a q tip. The problem still persists and my computer is slow, my cpu temps are high, and my comp has loud fan noises! What do I do!!!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score

all 3 of those issues are related - have you tried checking if the CPU heatsink is really that hot (careful so you don't burn yourself of course) - if it's not actually hot, it could either still not be seated properly, or there could be a faulty sensor on the CPU - you can try changing the CPU throttle temperature and fan speed settings such that they only kick in at higher temperatures, but if the system starts to crash/glitch then the CPU really is overheating

also, try letting the computer cool off (like overnight) and then look at the temperatures at the first boot - if it jumps really high quickly depending on the load, it's likely the heatsink not being on properly, while if it's at a consistently high temperature, it's likely a faulty sensor

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You should also consider the possibility of parts of your hardware being damaged.
Last time i had problems with the power supply my motherbord got damaged and i had to replace it.
It also happened that the motherboard of a friend of mine got damaged due to overheating at one point which resulted in the exact same scenario that you described.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.