death coil based spell: how to remove art-special effect?

Warkeeper

Reaction score
i have made a spell based on deathcoil and set the field "art - special" to none, but the typical deathcoil effect, which makes the projectile explode on the target unit still appears. it is impossible, that this green explosion is the death animation of the coil projectile, because i changed the missile and i also tried to add another graphical effect already included in worleditor instead of the coil art-special, but it just gets overwritten by the standard effect. this strange green cloud makes me mad, i hope someone may help me.^^ i could trigger the spell with another base spell, for example acid bomb, and use the formula "wait: distance between casting and target unit over projectile speed" than make the unit deal a certain amount of damage, but if the target unit moves, it would be improper. unfortunately there is no single spell made by blizzard, which only deals damage and have a projectile. they all have some side effects, which i don't need/want (for example: shadow dagger's text over the target, stun of nearly all projectile spells, no projectile when using lightning-related spells, ...)

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can base it off Chain Lightning and remove all the lightning effects and set the number of targets to 1.

> i could trigger the spell with another base spell, for example acid bomb, and use the formula "wait: distance between casting and target unit over
> projektile speed" than make the unit deal a certain amount of damage, but if the target unit moves, it would be inproper.

After waiting the distance between points you can reset your variable to the current unit's position.

Warkeeper

Reaction score
chain lightning cannot use any projectile missiles, when i remember right and i want it to have the frostbolt missile^^ and what do you mean by reset the units position after the wait? you mean waiting the distance and if the wait is over, checking if the unit has moved and add another wait? but then the unit never gets any damage, while it's moving, in exception of the case, that i havn't understood you right.

Reaction score
Your ability is a custom one, based off Death Coil, right?

Simply remove the "Art - Special" model of original, Blizzard-made Death Coil, and it should fix up on your ability too.

Warkeeper

Reaction score
@Amfidamant: did you actually read what i wrote?
i have made a spell based on deathcoil and set the field "art - special" to none, but the typical deathcoil effect, which makes the projectile explode on the target unit still appears.

Reaction score
And did you read what I wrote? :p

I'm not totaly sure why, but I believet hat when various fields, just like the "Art - Special" are left empty on a custom-made ability (Like your Death-Coil, for instance), They use the field data of their "parent" ability, which, in this case, would be the Blizzard Made Death Coil.

Try changing the Pre-Made Death Coil's "Art - Special" field to somethign else and cast the ability based off it.

Warkeeper

Reaction score
i tried this too, i even wrote about in my first post^^ i used a few blizzard made effects instead of the deathcoil effect, because i just thought like you just did, but it ignores the newly chosen effect and still plays the deathcoil effect. i also tried adding a not existing model, like none.mdl for instance. i even changed the order string to check if it's the reason for the effect. but every single action without success... and deathcoil doesn't use a buff, so a buff can not be the creator of the effect.

Reaction score
It works for me.

Are we talking about the same thing? Two diffirent abilities?
The Blizzard Ability with Raw-Code "AUdc" and your Custom made ability with something like "A004"? Use the [CTRL]+[D] to see the Raw Codes. Now, what is the value of "AUdc" field "Art - Special" ?

Warkeeper

Reaction score
i'm a totally idiot at all^^ i reseted all field values i changed after each single test and it seems that i have forgotten to test the map with the modulation, like you just said and so i thought i have already tested it, and never tried it again^^ thanks alot, that solves my problem

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
chain lightning cannot use any projectile missiles, when i remember right and i want it to have the frostbolt missile^^ and what do you mean by reset the units position after the wait? you mean waiting the distance and if the wait is over, checking if the unit has moved and add another wait? but then the unit never gets any damage, while it's moving, in exception of the case, that i havn't understood you right.

Yea sorry I never actually tested with chain lightning.

Acid Bomb would be ok though. Like I said, what is the problem with the unit's position? There is none, the acid bomb will follow the unit.

I think you didn't understand what I meant by resetting the value though.

Say you have the trigger.

Code:
LOLcoil
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Death Coil
    Actions
        Set targ = (Target unit of ability being cast)
        Set unitloc = (Position of (Casting unit))
        Set targetloc = (Position of targ)
        Wait ((Distance between unitloc and targetloc) / *MISSILE_SPEED*)
        [b]Set targetloc = (Position of targ)[/b]
        ------- Anything else -------

There is no problem with the unit's position now. You simply notice where it is now after the wait, and do whatever you wish with that information, and the Acid bomb will follow the target anyways.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.