Gaming Diablo 4's new ray tracing update tested: It halves your frame rate for little visual gain, but I am definitely here for some Frame Generation

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Diablo 4 looks great as it is, but some extra help in the frame rate department doesn't go amiss.

The latest update for Diablo 4 has arrived, and with it comes the much-anticipated addition of ray tracing effects. Both ray traced shadows and reflections are now available to enable in the settings menu, along with some extra goodies, so I jumped in for a bit of testing to see what sort of performance you can expect when engaging the new shinies.

New to the settings menu are several additional presets, Ultra, High, and Low ray tracing respectively, alongside some individual options to adjust the quality of ray traced shadows and reflections, and checkboxes to enable ray traced foliage and ray traced particles.

Another feature of the new update is the addition of DLSS 3 and Frame Generation, which I'll be getting onto in a minute.

I based my benchmarking runs on the Labyrinth of Rot dungeon in the Underoot, a moody, slimy area west of Carrigar. Plenty of opportunity to test out some ray traced shadows then, and a decently high enemy count to see how all the chaos onscreen translates to your overall performance with the new options engaged.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.