Diablo III Console Release?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Job Listing Confirms Diablo III Console Release?
A collection of job offers on the Blizzard site indicates that Diablo III may be on its way to your living room, and not just your computer.

Development powerhouse Blizzard is known as one of the few major studios remaining that focuses its aim solely on the PC, as more and more studios jump on the multiplatform wagon. It makes sense, really, given that each of its three "pillar" franchises are best suited to the platform: StarCraft is an RTS, Warcraft is an RTS and an MMO, and in Diablo you click on all of the things all the time.

That may be changing. Gamasutra noticed multiple new job listings on the Blizzard career site under the Diablo III heading, including: "Lead Designer, Console; Lead Programmer, Console; [and] Senior Producer, Console." The implications are obvious - even if Blizzard isn't planning on releasing Diablo III for consoles just yet, somebody at the Irvine-based developer is definitely thinking about it.

It isn't like this development is completely unheralded, either - Blizzard representatives have been adamant that the developer intends to return to console development someday (in a return to the days of Rock N' Roll Racing and The Lost Vikings) for quite some time now. D3 lead Jay Wilson said that Diablo would be the easiest of their franchises to port to consoles, and the developer had in fact acknowledged the possibility as far back as the game's reveal in 2008. It wouldn't be the first time the series had appeared on console, either - EA published the original Diablo on the PS1 back in the day.

I'd personally be wary about how such a port might work. Part of the charm of the Diablo series is the rapid-fire carpal-tunnel-inducing "click on everything forever" style of gameplay, a style that is very much at home in the sequel as it exists now. How does that work with a thumbstick and face buttons?

Still, if Diablo III could be properly ported to consoles with a control scheme that made sense, I'd be all for it. It's shaping up to be a great game, and the more people that get to play it on the Xbox 720 and PS4 when it eventually comes out in 2018, the better.​

Read Here (Escapist Magazine)

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
if it comes out on consoles im not getting it.
the console version that is. im fine with porting it to consoles, the more the merrier but im just hoping that it wouldnt take away time from making the actual game for pc and losing worktime on actual gameplay, and im hoping it doesnt make them keep out details that dont work on consoles but would have kept it in if it were just pc.

still i doubt it will be D3 that gets ported. maybe d4 or something

also lol @ last paragraph :p

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
It just wouldn't be the same. The fast paced click madness would never be there.
Besides - it would be button mashing on a console.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
It just wouldn't be the same. The fast paced click madness would never be there.
Besides - it would be button mashing on a console.

I agree to this, it wouldn't be the same. However, I'm all up to porting it on the console as it spreads the word of such a great game. And i agree with the link, it should not in any way delay the production for the PC, let us get a game first these days before it gets ported to a console ^^

The only thing i would have a bit of problem with is controls, obviously it wouldn't be controlled with a cursor but you would move you're character with you're control stick, and have buttons as the hotkeys but still, i'd think the effectivness on the pc would outsurpass the console easily.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
I assume for the "feel" of diablo, it would be move the cursor with the analogs, then press a button (A or X depending on console.)

Even then, it wouldn't be button mashing really, it'd just be press. move sticks. press. move more. press.

Besides, you don't get the satisfying TICK-TICK-TICK with a mouse :D

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
If they do make it for console then let's make sure not to buy them.
Bad behavior by Blizzard should not be rewarded for the sake of future generations.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I'm fine with it and could see myself playing it on the console, however I'd probably prefer the PC.

Imagine for the 360: left analog for movement, right for aiming spells, A and B are action buttons, and the left and right triggers shuffle through hotkeyed spells. Wouldn't be that bad, no?

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
But then what about teleporting around the enemy in pvp just for the lolz, you can't do that!

Sharp

Reaction score
I hope they don't do that, Diablo 1 i think was released for PS1 and it was a total piece of ***

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.