Differences in firmware versions

megarat

Cool Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm curious about the differences in firmware versions on the Samsung N501. I obtained one of these recently with firmware version 53, which seems to be a more-recent version than the v51 update file that is available on this site.

Does anyone know the difference between the later firmware versions? In particular, I cannot get the "own remote" region-free hack to work. Reading on some threads here, it sounds like people have had mixed success with this hack, and I suspect it was because it was removed from later firmware versions. Does anyone know of a correlation?

Is v53 the last version that is known? Was v51 the most-recent version that an downloadable update was available for consumers?

All in all, I picked this up in order to play T3k and music CDs with the VLM, so I'm not actually annoyed, but I was hoping that I could eliminate another component (my Apex all-region DVD player) from my home entertainment system. Alas.

Thanks,
-cam

cyberdemon

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Yes 53 is the last version.If you have an older one,52 is as far as you can firmware update.There was no user 53 update that i'm aware of.

L

landsmarra

Actually, when I did the update last night, it listed "52" in the firmware ID string. Does that mean version 52?

megarat

Cool Member
Reaction score
Actually, when I did the update last night, it listed "52" in the firmware ID string. Does that mean version 52?

That's correct.

I'm curious about which firmware versions can successfully perform the "own remote" region-free hack.

So how about a survey? If you've successfully turned your Samsung N501 into a region-free player using the bundled remote, can you call out your firmware version?

(And likewise, if the hack didn't work for you, what firmware do you have?)

I'll kick it off: the hack didn't work for me, and I have FW v53.

-cam

L

landsmarra

The hack didn't work for me on firmware versions 49 and 51.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.