Discussion Does the satellites orbiting Earth use Windows OS?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Then what language did NASA used for the 50's satellites?

NASA isn't the only space agency. They all probably use their own languages, and early on developed their own as programming wasn't the same as it was today. There weren't a bunch of different compilers you could just download and start scripting. The early satellites really only were for atmoshpheric studies, they didn't relay images or anything like that. Like Sputnik 1, all it did was relay information about temperature for a few days before the battery died. I think it was up for maybe three months

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, you didn't know? Start -> Run -> satellitecontroller.exe

Anyways, I'm sure they have some kind of 'OS', just not a graphical one.

There's no such thing as a "satellitecontroller.exe". I just can't find it.

NASA isn't the only space agency. They all probably use their own languages, and early on developed their own as programming wasn't the same as it was today. There weren't a bunch of different compilers you could just download and start scripting. The early satellites really only were for atmoshpheric studies, they didn't relay images or anything like that. Like Sputnik 1, all it did was relay information about temperature for a few days before the battery died. I think it was up for maybe three months

Maybe you're right.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Hm...it seems to fit many facts. If that's not entirely an OS, then I guess no one's ever going to find out if there really is an OS in outer space...

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Hm...it seems to fit many facts. If that's not entirely an OS, then I guess no one's ever going to find out if there really is an OS in outer space...
You could maybe ask NASA about it and what they use ;) maybe they give you a answer.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score

Why not start here?:rolleyes::
http://www.nasa.gov/

I don't even think that they had any computers on those satelites by the means you are thinking of.

I think they had some kind of electronic device getting a value and converting it to a signal in som way, and then sending it down to another device on earth.
Almost like they convert sound for a radio transmitter and reciever.
Those where done without computers in the old days you know;)

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Why not start here?:rolleyes::
http://www.nasa.gov/

I don't even think that they had any computers on those satelites by the means you are thinking of.

I think they had some kind of electronic device getting a value and converting it to a signal in som way, and then sending it down to another device on earth.
Almost like they convert sound for a radio transmitter and reciever.
Those where done without computers in the old days you know;)
Well, I was expecting a forums or some sort. And something more interactive...but yeah, you're right.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It had to use a computer of some sort, but a computer doesn't need an operating system to run. It'll just be unformatted and set as a script base, all an OS does is make it all easier for programs to run and for people to use them. But Samael is probably right, all it would need is something to record the data and send it out as a radio signal, doesn't really need to have an OS, just a processing unit and a transmitter.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.