Tutorial Effective questions and Helpful answers

Wark

Animal
Reaction score
Welcome to thehelper.net! (if you are new here), this is a guide I have made on how to post efficent threads, and how to get the answers you are looking for. (and maybe even make a few friends).

If you come here asking for help with World Editor, you don't want to be a loser, and you certainly don't want to make it seem like you are.

You have to ask the right questions, if you want to get the right answers.

This guide is intended to give you a better understanding of posting in forums, and will help you get better replies next time you post a question.

The Beginning

Before you ask something on the forum you should do the following:

1. Try to find an answer from a tutorial
There are many tutorials on this website and many on other world editor-related websites. One of them just might have the answer you are looking for.

2. Try to find an answer by experimentation
It never hurts to experiment with a trigger that you made, change some things, explore, click around.

3. Try to find an answer by searching the forum
Ever thought that someone has had the same problem as you in the past? There is a high chance that it's true, search around, it won't take long, and you might find the solution to your problem.

When you ask

The first thing a reader will see on your thread is the title, you should have a title relevant to your problem.

Bad:

help! trigger wont work for sum reason!

Good:

Unit enters a region, but it doesent teleport.

Write in a clear, correct and easy to read language.

This could not be more important! If you write slopy incurentyl and tedn to missspel wrods alot, the reader will note that you did not take time to write your post. If you didn't even take time to write you're own post, then why should the reader help you?

Most people know the common slang, u for you, r for are, lol, WC and WE, but try to keep abreviations to a minimum, as some readers might not know what you are talking about. A wise choice would be not to raise or lower the font, or change the font color just use default as some people get really annoyed at huge font, or flouresent color.

Don't double, triple, quadrouple, quantimple, or octomtomple posts. What is meant by this is: Don't post more than 1 post in a row, there is an Edit button and you should use it if you have something to add that you forgot in you're original post.

Use "Code Tags" when you post your triggers. This will make your post more easy to read and organized.

Do not post commands (e.g "make me a trigger, now!", make the reader know that you are willing to learn from your mistakes and that you are ready to fill in the blanks.

Use "please" and "thanks in advance", this makes it clear that you appreciate the poster for the time spent helping you, but don't push it and use begging, hyper-courtesy and anything like that, this will just piss the reader off.

Bad:
someone make me a trigger because im noob, make a trigger like this:

Good:
I'm not so sure on how to make that sort of trigger, but with a little help I think I will get the hang of it.

Don't forget to post the problem you are having, not your guess of what is going on.

Bad: I think the player groups are all wrong, blue is not supposed to be with yellow.

Good: The player groups are set up like this:

Always remember to read over your post!

Someone Replies to your post

If you do not understand an answer, don't immediately demand the poster to clarify it for you.

Example:
If you get a reply like this:
Poster: "Oh you will need to make a variable for it to count how many deaths there have been"

A bad follow up question would be:
You: "What's a variable?"

A good follow up question would be:
You: "Ok I've read the variable tutorial, but I'm unclear on how I set up the trigger"

Also don't lie and say you've did something, but you actually didn't do it; the poster probally knows a lot more than you do, even if the answer seems to you to be strange, or for something completely different .

If you think the poster has misunderstood your question, don't yell (talk in caps), but explain the problem clearer:

Bad: umm...yeah... thats not what im trying to do.

Good: Oh well thanks for the post, but I think you misunderstood, I'm trying to...

If you get your answer, be sure to thank the poster. Remember they used THEIR time to help YOU. You should at least pay them back with a thank you.

Dealing with rudeness and constructive critisism

If someone replies to your post, and says something that may look to you like rudeness, may actually be constructive critisism.

If you get a post like: "use the search..", "omg..just read the tutorial", or "look at the Free Trigger Code thread" you should most certainly do it. The person who is saying this is probably right.

Don't act like a loser

If someone is really acting out, you shouldn't respond by yelling, getting mad, making fun, starting a rep war, or bickering.

If you do you will most likely get in trouble by a moderator, and almost always, you will be the one who is made a fool of, not the poster.

If you recieve bad reputation, it is for a reason,take it as a warning, because if you complain about it, chances are you'll keep getting bad rep.

The best way to deal with it is to look at the post from the other person's view, why would he be posting that in the first place?, I doubt you will ever
be in a situation where some one is REALLY harrasing you on this forum, but you just have to ignore put-downs and move on.

And complaining about people "flaming" you is the worst way to screw up.

If You Can't Get An Answer

Sometimes, you wont get an answer from anyone, you can always try bumping it after it goes of the front page (never bump more than once a day though), a good time for bumping it is when lots of people are online, and when moderators are online. After you do this, you will have a better chance of getting your answer.

Helpful Links
The Forum Rules

World Editor Resources

World Editor Tutorials - by thehelper.net

Warcraft 3 Models, Icons, Modeling, Iconing, and related tutorials

I am not a moderator, I am not an admin, I am a regular member like you are, and I decided to make this guide for you.

You're Welcome

- Wark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.