External Hard Drive Problim

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a western Digital My Book External hard drive and It is supose to be able to turn it's self on and off when the computer turns on and off, well the off part works fine but when I try to boot up my computer with the EH's USB cable plugged in the hard drive will turn on but the boot procces will freeze when it is scanning the EH and then it will just stay frozen even if I unplug the hard drive I have to hold down the power bottom to restart, now my printer and scanner and web cam dont effect the boot at all, it is only the EH. So is there a way to fix this or do I have to continue unpluging the drive then plugging it back in every time I need to boot?

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Go into your system's BIOS options (there will be some keystroke like F1 or F2 or F10 or something when it first powers on... it varies) and look for options like "USB boot" or "legacy USB support" -- disable them. If you made more than one change and you find a setting that lets you boot up, change things back until you isolate the specific one that made the difference.

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
awsome I will try that next time I rebot, thanks man.

Hmm I spent months trying to solve this problim with no luck and you solved it in 44 minutes from my posting of the topic lol I just changed it like you said and it loaded just fine.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Rapmaster is win. :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.