Sci/Tech Facebook developing technology to allow access to children under 13

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Vacations? Family trips? A relative's house for the holidays? Chances are a kid would have no other ways of communicating with their friends under such circumstances.
I somewhat agree, But. isn't it great to have some brake from the internet?

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Of course. But it's also great to have some time away from your family, however close you are to them. We all need some private time alone, and some relatives can be sliiiiiightly overbearing.

FireCat

Reaction score
^ Of course, But there's 365 days in a year, So I'm pretty sure you are alone sometimes.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
^ Of course, But there's 365 days in a year, So I'm pretty sure you are alone sometimes.
You can't be alone for 150 days a year non-stop, and totally deprived from internet access for the other 215 days. Everything has to come in moderation, including social interaction and deprivation.

FireCat

Reaction score
You can't be alone for 150 days a year non-stop.
eh? who said, living alone 150 days non-stop? Not me anyway lol.
Seriously "One day alone, Isn't it enough? " Well, sure It depends on someones age. But maybe some kids can't be left alone?

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Facebook definitely serves a purpose, as it's been stated.

But a huge amount of the people that use it are straight addicted to it.
Not kind of addicted, but like, chemically dependent on their Facebook network to feel feelings of self-worth and accomplishment. People that need to check it several times a day or they start to get nervous, anxious.
They're going through withdrawal.

How many people claim that they use Facebook to keep in contact with people over vast distances but spend 90% of their time talking with their friends on computers instead of hanging out in real life?

The main problem with Facebook is that it encourages people to interact through text, the single most impersonal method of communication that is used regularly. It's argued that kids need to socialize too... yes, they do! Facebook socializing is no different from socializing on a video game like WoW or some shit. Sure, you might actually know the people, but you generally feel the same way about these people that you don't know as you do about the people you do know when it comes to online writing.

Facebook can do good things: it can help organize parties, keep in touch with long-distance friends, and... I dunno, maybe something else. I can't think of it, though. But it is barely socializing. I mean, part of the definition of socializing is that you meet them. You're not meeting people by talking to them online.

When I was a kid and we wanted to talk to friends, we used something called a telephone. I realize most kids that age don't have cell phones (although the numbers are increasing at a stupid rate), but I still don't have a cell phone, and I don't have problems calling my friends from a landline phone or borrowing someone else's.

The beauty of the telephone is that you don't call without a purpose. You're calling to tell someone something important, or to arrange plans or something. Maybe if you're a chick this is different, but as men, the only time we'll call someone just to talk is if they're over a vast distance, and even then it's just so much more personal. The relationship stays a lot stronger, as can rarely be compared to one kept via Facebook. Or that's how it is in my experience, anyway.

But I'm somewhat biased - Facebook is the same as Myspace, and Myspace is a site for camerawhores to feel good about themselves. It's just kinda frivolous, to an extent.

And I'm not saying anyone should stop using it. Just throwing in my two cents.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Where do they Go?

Yeah "Money"@Uberplayer!
They move to wherever dad/mom got a new job. Being the new kid is really, really tough. Try doing it seven times in your life and then answer this question with less condescension.

FireCat

Reaction score
Yeah ^ lol

They move to wherever dad/mom got a new job. Being the new kid is really, really tough..
Sure it's tough for the kid. But some people Just can't seem to settle down. So they choose to move around from one place to another. Not Just because there's no jobs there.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Sure it's tough for the kid. But some people Just can't seem to settle down. So they choose to move around from one place to another. Not Just because there's no jobs there.
Are you making an argument?

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Because we've given up assuming we understand the things you do.
Play nice Varine :) FireCat has made some pretty clear points before!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.