Sci/Tech Firearms research: The gun fighter

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
With his crisp blue suit and wire-framed spectacles, Garen Wintemute hardly looked frightening as he stepped to the podium last month to address a conference on paediatric emergency medicine in San Francisco, California. But his presence there made the organizers nervous.

Wintemute, an emergency-department doctor, is better known as the director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California (UC), Davis. As such, he has published dozens of papers on the effects of guns in the United States, where widespread gun ownership and loose laws make it easy for criminals and potentially violent people to obtain firearms. Wintemute has pushed the bounds of research, going undercover into gun shows with a hidden camera to document how people often sidestep the law when purchasing weapons. He has also worked with California lawmakers on crafting gun policy and helped to drive a group of gun-making companies out of business.

All this made Wintemute a potentially risky speaker for the conference funder, a branch of the US Department of Health and Human Services, which is barred by law from funding any activities that advocate or promote gun control. The meeting organizers had told Wintemute to stick to facts and avoid any mention of policies. But with the nation still reeling from the murder of 20 children and 6 educators, who were shot in their school in Newtown, Connecticut, in December, the conference organizers were not sure what Wintemute would say.

He stuck to the facts, but also managed to make clear how he feels about the funding prohibition, which has effectively killed off most research on gun violence. “We don't have a labour force,” Wintemute told the assembled doctors.

Interesting read.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
He has [...] helped to drive a group of gun-making companies out of business.
Aha, thats the way to destroy the economy and put people into welfare.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah right. Would you say the same thing, if your family would be killed?
Hmm "It would Just make room for other family to live?"
Sure would give me some more room around here. And all that insurance money could make for a nicer living i guess.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Sure would give me some more room around here. And all that insurance money could make for a nicer living i guess.
So, you would be extremely happy, Your family, girlfriend and your friends would be gone? Because of the insurance, and a bit room for yourself ?

Well, weapons are the most important in the world! Right?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You sure seem creepy encouraging violent homicide.
Does the police know about your activities mister?

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
People like this make me sick, I'm an avid hunter and actually have my provincial colours
for pin shooting, an American born shooting sport that we've adopted here in South Africa.
Now many of you may not know but firearms laws in South Africa are strict but with the
correct qualifications and paperwork plus a bit of patience you can acquire your firearms.

Now I know that this man has nothing to do with my countries gun control, but we had a
man like him not too long ago, he wanted to completely remove our "right" or ability to
own firearms. If he had achieved his goal he would've taken the only sport I've ever been
good in, away from me. I'm glad he didn't.

P.S only military and certain response units are allowed full-auto firearms in SA

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
And THAT makes new jobs. And frees jobs which were taken before.
It keeps the economy running and provides opportunities for the young and fresh.

Worst point ever.

How can you say that one person dying does nothing except create a new job and keep the economy running?

What if the person that takes the position fails at the job and loses some amount of money to foreign investors? How about the families of those who die that need to take time off of work therefore lowering the productivity of their respected companies?

Death does not help economies. Look at any country going through any period of death on a large scale and you will see the many flaws in your point. Ie wars or plagues.

Also; See Australia's history of Gun Ownership Legislation for a good example of how effective this principal can be. I don't understand the need to own guns at all. If the concept it to protect oneself from foreign threats then this is surely a thing of the past with advances in modern weaponry.

As for sports, I have no real say as I am not a hunter, nor have I ever shot anything live. I do think it's disgusting to do this for fun but that is just my opinion and I don't feel like the opinions of things like these should be taken into consideration.

Human life is different. Considering all the murders and massacres of late I am glad I live in a country where guns are prohibited.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Wars move economies.. Pretty sure that point was made a while ago..

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
At the time, I didn't made my point known.

War kills people, which then creates vacant jobs, which then gives the rest the of the surviving people the opportunity to work there, which then moves economy on a massive scale. War is actually beneficial once we reached a threshold on human population, it's just that we haven't reached it yet.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Although I only skimmed most of the article, I still did find quite a bit of it interesting, thanks for posting this! I will probably have to come back for a closer read when I have more time.

People like this make me sick, I'm an avid hunter and actually have my provincial colours
for pin shooting, an American born shooting sport that we've adopted here in South Africa.
Now many of you may not know but firearms laws in South Africa are strict but with the
correct qualifications and paperwork plus a bit of patience you can acquire your firearms.

Now I know that this man has nothing to do with my countries gun control, but we had a
man like him not too long ago, he wanted to completely remove our "right" or ability to
own firearms. If he had achieved his goal he would've taken the only sport I've ever been
good in, away from me. I'm glad he didn't.

It sounds to me like you didn't read the article. From what I read, he seemed to have very good policies on things, and NOT be wanting to ban everything just because.

I like the fact that he is intelligently looking at issues, and is not biased about everything:

This is not the first time that Wintemute has attacked papers he perceives to be weak, even if they point towards policies he would like to see adopted. And he goes no easier on policies that he views as ineffective, even ones that seek to limit firearm ownership. He has, for instance, repeatedly criticized the assault-weapons ban enacted by Congress in 1994, in part because the ban was easily circumvented. Instead, he advocates three steps informed by research: requiring background checks for all US gun sales, forbidding alcohol abusers and those convicted of violent misdemeanours from buying guns and rewriting current federal restrictions on gun ownership to better capture people who are mentally ill and at risk of violence to themselves or others.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.