Flash Sonic Physics: Rate Them!

What do you rate the physics?

• Total voters

BlueSin

Reaction score
See last post for latest.

Well... here they are so far. What do you think?

Controls are:

Up: Look Up
Down: Crouch, Roll While Moving
Left: Walk/Run Left, Break While Running Right
Right: Walk/Run Right, Break While Running Left
Space: Jump
Down + Space: Charge
Down + Space ... Release Space: Launch

Please leave comments! Anyway they can be improved to better emulate genesis Sonic?

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
One of the better renditions I've seen, but it has a few bugs, mostly with hills and loop-de-loops. It's impossible to run up them without a boost, and even if you do boost it's hard. Jumping on a hill is hella bugged too, you either go nowhere or shoot into space. Also, Sonic accelerates a bit too slowly.

Eitherwise, very nice, keep tweaking and you'll have it perfectly. I gave it three but it's more like 3.5.

BlueSin

Reaction score
>>Jumping on a hill is hella bugged too, you either go nowhere or shoot into space.

Do you mean while on a hill? I noticed you tend to overshoot a bit, but I haven't had the problem of going nowhere, could you explain?

>>It's impossible to run up them without a boost

Well in the actual game (alpha) the levels are of course much bigger, so it's not that hard when you have a lot of momentum from running and downhill etc. In this demo, you have little running space. Maybe I'll tune down the friction a bit.

Thanks for comments! :)

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
When I ran up the loop-de-loop and jumped a little before it turned vertical, for instance, I shot out of the screen. The next time I did that I got flung back a bit. Nowhere was hyperbole.

BlueSin

Reaction score
Okay looks like I'll have to do some more tweaking. :)

I think what happened for the 'I shot out of the screen' is that you were about 90 degrees, then jumped, overshooting you to the jump direction (left in that case) and out of the screen on the left. Something like that or no? Don't know what to say about 'The next time I did that I got flung back a bit.' besides more tweaking must be done. :p

Though it is supposed to jump towards whatever way is opposite his feet.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
I noticed when you first start you can crouch but you cant use charge, take a step then you can, maybe fix that.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Very nice man :p

Tonks

Reaction score
Yea, I'm very impressed with your improvement.

I think I hit a random bug, and I'm not really sure what happened. I jumped down the hole, and Sonic started moving all around the game. Like, poof, he's in one spot, then he's in another, then another. I couldn't control him when he was doing this.

BlueSin

Reaction score
Eh I don't know about that I'll have to look into it. But if you jump down the hole you should just fall forever.

Thanks for comment though.

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
What really gets me is when you jump, and you're in a spin, say you spin jump and come down on a ramp.

You stall for a bit, then stand up and slide down the reamp.
It would be nice if you rolled in the ball.

Have you seen the other sonic game?

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
>>Have you seen the other sonic game?
A link would be nice :rolleyes:

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
Well, it's better now, but still needs to emulate the original more. For instance, I tried standing still on the loop in different places to see how Sonic jumped, and what happened is the jumps are pretty much perpendicular to the angle you're at, which is wrong. Sonic should jump down more, even on a gentler angle. Oh, and at about, oh, 30 degrees or so, you jump vertically. Pretty random.

But now it's at a 4.

BlueSin

Reaction score
>>the jumps are pretty much perpendicular to the angle you're at, which is wrong

Isn't that how its like in sonic the hedgehog 3?

I have a little update to show you all:

http://denvish.net/ulf/180207/73471_physdemo5.php

The game now features jump-onto-from-below platforms, as demonstrated here with the grass thing you start out underneath. Feedback?!

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Lol i like that better :p

There is one thing that gets me though.
When you fall from the ledge onto the ramp below sonic walks up to a point then falls, even if your tellin him to go the other way... Lol?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.