─║╣ero─
Reaction score
I kinda...flew off the screen and never came back..lol

other wise cool

+rep

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
So far it is really good, I know how hard it is to make these, because the closest we have is ultimate Flash Sonic.

You got most of the jumping down, thats great! However, I only see one or two problems.

In the old sonic games, when you jump from 0 velocity, you could start moving while in air. You rgame dosn't have it, and I find it frustrating because the control you have in air (speeding up/slowing down) is what makes platforms easy to jump. Your jumping is too static, imo. Just imput.

Alos, when you spin dash on top of the ledge on the upper left and you hit the ramp, he stops completly. You should change that so he'll keep rolling. The sonic games changed his sprite from rolling to running when he'd usually do something like that.

Other than that, its great work! I can't wait until I can see some early levels! My suggestion is to try to fix the jumping thing first, then add platforms, then spikes, then baddies. But I have no idea how to do what your doing, so don't listen to me!

EDIT- I have two more suggestions!
1) Make juming hight more sensative. If you press jump a little, it should be lower than if you press jump longer.
2) Make it be able so that you can jump/spin dash at the beginning (first step).

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Fantastic so far. The physics seem spot-on, but with only two minor discrepencies that seem oddly off.

One, the sense of speed isn't too good. It feels too slow for a sonic game. And two, when falling off a platform or such (Not jumping) makes Sonic still run his little legs in the air, which doesn't look good.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Okay I've added a camera and scrolling engine. Here is a level demo (lacking many parts of the level, terrain, props, rings, enemies items, etc). After all it is just a demo.

Tell me what you think:

http://denvish.net/ulf/010307/75790_LevelDemo.php

To be perfectly honest...it's awesome! That's the best Sonic-a-like I've ever messed around with. The Ultimate Sonic Flash thing I tried for a bit and found it rather crappy. I mean, part of the whole appeal of sonic was being able accurately jump with sufficient speed. In Ultimate Sonic everything seems partially delayed. I can run, but I can't jump to attack the enemies and avoid them in my way--sonic practically stops to jump. In yours, moving around was finally a blast (minus the overly repetitive music). But that reminds me, I feel like playing Sonic Mega Collection again :p

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
I love it, very nice.

Lol, I fell of the end part :p

BlueSin

Reaction score
Fantastic so far. The physics seem spot-on, but with only two minor discrepencies that seem oddly off.

One, the sense of speed isn't too good. It feels too slow for a sonic game. And two, when falling off a platform or such (Not jumping) makes Sonic still run his little legs in the air, which doesn't look good.
Glad you like it. The speed can be easily adjusted (as with many other aspects of the physics) so I'll set up a few more demos once I get farther along, to see what the public feels is the best. As for falling, that can be fixed too, but what animation does he use when falling? Did he have a specific one?

Corleone said:
They're good. It reminded me of Sonic Chaos, for some reason.
Thanks, though I have no idea what Sonic Chaos is. :)

Rinpun said:
To be perfectly honest...it's awesome! That's the best Sonic-a-like I've ever messed around with.
Thanks, glad you like it. I've also recently added (not in demo) slight air control that is just like the genesis air control, so that's good too I guess.

Mase said:
I love it, very nice.

Lol, I fell of the end part
:)

Chocobo said:
On the level demo I did a Charge on the first weird S and I was blocked (all buttons did nothing).
But you didn't happen to get a screenshot did you? Anyway I'm glad most of the comments are positive, instead of this shit sucks.

BlueSin

Reaction score
>>One of the coolest Sonic games imo.

I just googled it, weird that I never heard of it.

>>I feel like playing Sonic Mega Collection again

Oh that reminds me. Guess what I plan on making next year. It begins with an 'R' and is included in Sonic Mega Collection. Give up? Click

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
But you didn't happen to get a screenshot did you? Anyway I'm glad most of the comments are positive, instead of this shit sucks.

No.

It's at the end of S, as I said, when the curves end. I was stick while being stuck to the horizontal wall (Sonic was looking down and stills in ball form).

M

Mythic Fr0st

When you go up a loop, you stick to the roof, unless you press slow down...

You also dont die when you fall of cliff, and this dissapointed me alot, as I love suiciding in sonic, im a psyco obsessed suicidal sonic fan...

lol (Suicidal in game)

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
When you go up a loop, you stick to the roof, unless you press slow down...

You also dont die when you fall of cliff, and this dissapointed me alot, as I love suiciding in sonic, im a psyco obsessed suicidal sonic fan...

lol (Suicidal in game)

The level is not ended yet. You can fall at the end freely.

BlueSin

Reaction score
>>You also dont die when you fall of cliff, and this dissapointed me alot

>>It's at the end of S, as I said, when the curves end. I was stick while being stuck to the horizontal wall (Sonic was looking down and stills in ball form).

Hmm I'll try and recreate this bug, so I can see how it is.

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
>>You also dont die when you fall of cliff, and this dissapointed me alot

>>It's at the end of S, as I said, when the curves end. I was stick while being stuck to the horizontal wall (Sonic was looking down and stills in ball form).

Hmm I'll try and recreate this bug, so I can see how it is.

There.

I could spam down and enter, jump without doing something, look left and right, but not move.

Attachments

• Sonic Bug.JPG
    Sonic Bug.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 299

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
I'm still impressed with the platforming system again. You gotta get started on levels w/ enemies and stuff too.

Oh, and I'm sure you know this, but try your best to make killable enemies :p

(Sonic the Hedgehog 1 made this mistake--a couple creatures can only be killed on one tiny spot on their body, and if you miss you usually hit their spikes, sending rings everywhere. There was a much easier way to kill them, which is roll attacking, but StH1 didn't have it--you had to press the down key while jumping and then lean towards the monster and hope you hit it before sonic stops moving, or else you'll just take damage ;))

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
Ok, your latest update is the best so far but you still have some issues.

Try running at first, and pressing down to spin dash about a second before the first loop thing. You end up sticking to the ground instead of spurting off into the air. Sometimes. It's hard to make it consistent.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.