Tutorial Game Cache

K

Kain14

Linking multiple maps

I have been reading through many helpful tutorials about game caches but most have just been talking about linear campaigns, just one map to the next.
I am currently working on a project that resembles the formatting of the orc bonus campaign in the Frozen Throne. It has a main map, and 3 or 4 mini maps that can be entered and can be exited back onto the same main map.
While the loading process seems to be simple enough, is it possible to organize a map that has ten or twelve different "mini-maps" linked to it, with some of the mini-maps have multiple openings and exits?
It just seems that loading caches would conflict with one another...

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
They wouldn't conflict. You just need the main map and link the main map with the mini maps, and mini maps with the main map. Just like doing a linear campaign. Remember, that all the maps need the same instances of the transferred data (units, abilities etc.).

G

grummie

Hey there
I just did this trigger and it worked great. only problem is when i try to exit the map my char entered it goes back to title screen. i redid the whole trigger to exit the map my char entered but insted of doing (chache) variable again is put in (chache2) so they dont overlap? any ideas as to whats happing?

M

MarshalRevan

Excellent Tutorial man!
This will help me lots for my maps...:cool:

B

Bassuck

Nice tutorial man, learnt a lot from it. Thanks.
But I have one question... What if I want to make an RPG Campaign where one map leads to more than one map. That is, I can go back and forth between Map 1 and all those other maps? Like in the Frozen Throne Orc Campaign...

Dark Ruler

Reaction score
Nice tutorial man, learnt a lot from it. Thanks.
But I have one question... What if I want to make an RPG Campaign where one map leads to more than one map. That is, I can go back and forth between Map 1 and all those other maps? Like in the Frozen Throne Orc Campaign...

I have the same question but you forgot to say one thing to make it more clearer. each map has its own exits and difrent entrances. Example: 1 main map 4 sub maps. the main map has 4 exits/entrances the sub maps all have one exit/entrance. Now movin from the main map to one of the sub maps aint a problem you create a region at the edge of the maps 4 at the main map and 1 at each sub map BHut then a cache can only provide 1 lokation where he wil store his units so when you travel from the sub map to the main map you cannot store your unit at the edge of the map. Wy not?? ques you ahve 4 submaps each submap has another sie of the main map... know where im heading?
solution pleas.

DK's Pride

Reaction score
Does it matter if its w3x, w3v or w3z or any of thoose..?

Anyway really nice tutorial, =) +Rep

magnemann

Reaction score
Does it matter if its w3x, w3v or w3z or any of thoose..?

Anyway really nice tutorial, =) +Rep

I'm wondering about that as well.
I have a problem, haven't received help yet, a while since someone has posted in this tutorial, however, I'll ask anyway.
The problem is that my hero won't load in map 2!
These are my triggers:

TRIGGERS FROM MAP 1:
Code:
 Cache
 Events
 Map initialization
 Conditions
 Actions
 Game Cache - Create a game cache from Murloc Map 1.w3x
 Set Cache = (Last created game cache)

Code:
 Cache save
 Events
 Unit - A unit enters Region 016 <gen>
 Conditions
 (Triggering unit) Equal to Murloc Chieftain 0035 <gen>
 (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Player 1 (Red)
 Actions
 Game Cache - Store Murloc Chieftain 0035 <gen> as Murkhil of Murlocs in Cache
 Game Cache - Save Cache
 Game - Set the next level to Maps\Murloc Map 2.w3x

TRIGGER FROM MAP 2:

Code:
 Cache
 Events
 Map initialization
 Conditions
 Actions
 Game Cache - Create a game cache from Murloc map 1.w3x
 Set Cache = (Last created game cache)
 Game Cache - Restore Murkhil of Murlocs from Cache for Player 1 (Red) at (Center of Region 000 <gen>) facing 135.00
 Game Cache - Clear Cache
 Game Cache - Save Cache

Does anyone know what I did wrong?
+rep to anyone who can sort this out!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.