Tutorial Game Cache

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
What do you mean exactly?
Nothing special, like if you want to save time of day you save it as real variable "Time" and after in other map load with real variable "Time".

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I think transfering units between single maps can get risky when there are differences in the object data. Not sure though.

That is true, indeed. All the maps need the same instance of the custom unit, when storing and restoring, otherwise, the game will not load the unit, if one map has not got it.

I updated the tutorial informing about that, as well, adding, that it is effective to use arrays, if storing large quantities of information.

warpo

Reaction score
I would assume after restoring a unit you must tag a unit variable to them so you can select them in cinemats and stuff?

So you would tag your unit variable to Last restored unit?

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. I shall add that, too, to the tutorial, just to be safe.

M

Mythic Fr0st

I belive you said gamecaches, can not be used in Multiplayer, to transfer maps, however I played Everquest ORPG which was the weirdest thing i've ever played
but, you could enter caves, and it would be a small dark room that you couldn't see out of etc.. do you think he/she would of placed it on the map and then just moved you there?

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
I belive you said gamecaches, can not be used in Multiplayer, to transfer maps, however I played Everquest ORPG which was the weirdest thing i've ever played
but, you could enter caves, and it would be a small dark room that you couldn't see out of etc.. do you think he/she would of placed it on the map and then just moved you there?
Wild guess- minimap was blacked out you NEVER got any loading screen and sudenly was moved to new map ? Ehehehehe ofcourse not !

EDIT: To make it clear you can' t tranfer between maps in multiplayer.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score

Yes, that is the only option, as Sooda said.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
You can use game cache in multiplayer to enchance spells or gameplay, but you cannot move switch between maps. It is only for single player.
This sounds...rather misguiding IMO.
A game cache works the same in both multiplayer and singleplayer, however, if used in multiplayer, it will be erased as soon as the game ends.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
...and therefore you cannot use game cache to switch between maps in multiplayer. But I found a typo in there, also. Thanks.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
So why/how does it erase the game cache after playing a multiplayer game? And how do save/load codes work? Because I often play a different multiplayer map in between Night of the Dead (for example.) And I can load my character from previous games. Yet according to Sfilip the game caches get deleted after the game...which means I shouldn't be able to load my character.

So in essence there is a way to transfer your character between multiplayer maps.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, just thinking about possibilities. If you had 1 map, lets say Alligator Massacre (Chapter 1). I level up and get weps and abilities and items and etc...(could even save damaged hp for a survival type map.) I finish playing and want to go to Stork Massacre (Chapter 2) which has carefully been copied from the same map as Alligator Massacre (Chapter 1) so the units are all the same, but the gameplay and terrain (via triggers and whatnot) is different. However I can still load the character that leveled up in Alligator Massacre (Chapter 1).

Worth a try?

The problem with it is you have to leave the game your in and host another one. Then you lose the group you're playing with if you leave the first map/game. And there may not be anyone else to play with you in the next multiplayer map.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
You can store and restore an unit in multiplayer. The base map is always the same. You cannot transfer it between 2 different maps.

A

Andersaaa12

With this information can I walk between 2 maps without using the start triggers agian?

Mr Zero

Junior Regular (Got the T-shirt)
Reaction score
Finally somebody put up a tutorial I could use :rolleyes:.

Anyway I got some questions.

How long time does a game cache hold?
Forever? A half hour? Or can I use again and again and again? To the computer restarts? To they exits WC3? Just "about".

The maximum?
How much am I "limted" to? 50 units? 20 integers/reals? Total or for each game cache? Maximum game cache?

Can't think of more at the moment... but probably comes back with more :p

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
With this information can I walk between 2 maps without using the start triggers agian?

The "Start triggers"? Please elaborate.

Just make sure the transfered data is exactly the same for both maps.

(e.g exactly the same instances of an unit called "Rexxar", which has modified data fields.)

Finally somebody put up a tutorial I could use :rolleyes:.

Anyway I got some questions.

How long time does a game cache hold?
Forever? A half hour? Or can I use again and again and again? To the computer restarts? To they exits WC3? Just "about".

The maximum?
How much am I "limted" to? 50 units? 20 integers/reals? Total or for each game cache? Maximum game cache?

Can't think of more at the moment... but probably comes back with more :p

I believe the game cache lasts as long as it is not cleared.

The object's limit, which can be stored in a game cache is rather high. Don't know the exact number, but you don't have to worry about reaching the maximum capacity.:)

Mr Zero

Junior Regular (Got the T-shirt)
Reaction score
> "I believe the game cache lasts as long as it is not cleared."

And when it is cleared?

Thanks Andrewgosu :)

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
One can clear it of stored data any time.

Code:
Actions
    Game Cache - Clear (Last created game cache)

G

G1thy4nk1

Now with a Gold Storing Cache, i can now make a bank for my RPG to store my gold, thank you! I appreciate the specs for the stuff Andrewgosu made, i do have another suggestion.....Can you make a Game Cache for Quests for a real RPG map? :D

btw, i couldn't really make a campaign RPG because i have the RPG was gamed with a GUI Equipment System and a Backpack system, so it's still impossible to make a true RPG!!:(

A

Andersaaa12

One last Question:
Can change herotype when using game cache?

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Change hero type? I think hero is a type already.:p Just make sure You have the exact same replicas of a specific unit in both maps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.