Gaming Games Launched After January 1, 2019 Must Be Accessible for Disabilities Under CVAA Legislation

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
The IGDA (International Game Developers Association) on December 31, 2018, pushed new details regarding CVAA (21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act 2010). The high level CVAA will require any communications functionality and any UI used to be compliant and suitable for those with a wide range of conditions. Failure to comply will allow complaints to be made to the FCC and possible fines.

The CVAA covers accessibility for all advanced communications services, Here’s the explanation from the IGDA. “The CVAA (21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act 2010) is general purpose legislation requiring accessibility of all advanced communications services (specifically voice chat, text chat, and video chat), including those in game software, gameplay & distribution networks, and consoles.” The IGDA states that the games industry has had a series of waivers with the last being for game software but expired on December 31.

Starting from January 1, 2019, games launched in the US must ensure they are accessible to people with disabilities in regards to communications. Here is some more information taken from the IGDA website regarding how games are affected based on their development progress.

• Games that enter development after this date must be fully compliant.
  • Games already in development after this date but released after it must be as compliant as possible, how far through development the game was at Dec 31st may be taken into account in case of a complaint.
  • Games released before this date that receive substantial updates after it must also be compliant.
As well as ensuring that the game is accessible with communications for those with disabilities, the creation of the game must have these conditions in mind early in development and involve disabled people in the design or testing process.

Read more here. (DualShockers)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Not sure of too many games that do video chat, voice chat can easily be done by 3rd party apps - what exactly does text chat need to have in order to be "compliant"? i.e. are there any games which are compliant right now?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Not sure of too many games that do video chat, voice chat can easily be done by 3rd party apps - what exactly does text chat need to have in order to be "compliant"? i.e. are there any games which are compliant right now?
Text chat needs to be operable without vision.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
If I had to guess I would say "typical" screen readers that are already in use by disabled people need to work with the video games. How exactly that is to be implemented I am not sure of. It might be that additional information need to be exposed through an API or maybe that the font is machine readable.

I am curious myself how exactly this is supposed to be implemented in detail. Seems like a lot of work.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Seems like a lot of work.
seems like a library is needed & then everyone can just use that, text chats between games aren't really all that different.. and it's text information - maybe an API, but id be curious to see an example of what "passes" vs what "fails"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    it is not that power consumption went up it was available capacity went down with power plants freezing
  • Varine Varine:
    What a fucking disaster. Are all of the Texas people okay? I see TH is, are we the only two?
  • Varine Varine:
    How have the other states held up? I just got power back so I have no idea what's going on, we didn't get warning
  • Varine Varine:
    Why the fuck didn't they fix this ten years ago when it happened?
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    I'm in it with you and TH as well. My power has been in and out, and I have a ruptured pipe that I need to fix, shouldn't be too bad to fix myself.
  • Varine Varine:
    I hope you're staying warm! Apparently the supply is coming up so hopefully we can get back to normal power soon, mine has been on for six hours now.
  • M Mulciberxp:
    My power has been off most of the last 2 days. We had a generator installed 3 years ago though, so we're staying warm. Water is another issue...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Where I live has a pool so we are using that to get water to flush the toilets. We have enough bottled water to drink and brush teeth and stuff but it has been a few days and no shower though....
  • Varine Varine:
    I had some water in gallon jugs, and got our water back on yesterday. We don't seem to have any leaks, but I haven't crawled down there to look yet.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    still no water I cannot remember when I last showered now I know how they felt in the old west lol
  • Varine Varine:
    My poor plants are happy, they aren
  • Varine Varine:
    aren't used to going this long without water or lights or normal heat. I think a couple of them froze, but they look like they'll make it
  • Varine Varine:
    Well one of them is pretty rough but I think it was sick to begin with, that one always had some problems.
  • jonas jonas:
  • jonas jonas:
    ???
  • Ghan Ghan:
    That is such a Texas thing to say lol
  • midnight8 midnight8:
    a positive could come out of this. So many people trapped at home could put a dent in the covid numbers in Texas
  • Varine Varine:
    That dude, Tom Boyd, is really upset about the backlash from his "it's your fault you're freezing" thing because he claims he resigned before saying it, so it wasn't like he said it in his official capacity or anything.
  • jonas jonas:
    Almost as if he was saying "screw you guys, I'm going home"
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm fairly new here still but that seems to be the analogous message by several of our politicians.
  • vypur85 vypur85:
    Nobody?
  • jonas jonas:
    Hi vypur85, long time no see
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Hi vypur85, long time no see.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We are all somebody
  • Varine Varine:
    I kinda like being nobody tho.

Members online

No members online now.