Getting DVDs to work

W

whoblitzell

Annoying box on DVD playback

I have the latest version of Windows Media Player, and when I put in any DVD, the thing locks up and won't play it. I tried on Real Player and a similar thing happened.

It works in the player for my video card -- the ATI player -- but I hate that POS and I want my WMP to work again. So if anyone has any ideas, I am all ears. I've tried switching around a number of video and audio settings to no avail.

Yes, I have the latest versions of video card drivers.

EDIT:

Ok the above problem has been solved, my problem now is that an annoying little box is hopping about the screen while I watch my videos. To register the fact I wasn't insane, I had my brother look at the box as well.

Unfortunately, it will not show up in Windows screenshots or photographs. I am uncertain as to why.

I obviously want to get rid of this pesty box, it is around 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch and has 9 tiles, one of which is a circle in the upper right hand corner.

Any help is as always highly appreciated.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
the video card drivers aren't related to this topic, to get it to work with WMP you need an MPEG2 codec like this one:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Stinky_MPEG_2_Codec.htm

be warned though, getting DVD playback via WMP doesn't work for everyone using this method (which is your only option as far as I know). Additionally, experience from the community has shown that WMP is an extremely poor player when it comes to playing DVDs. Problems it has includes audio/video sync loss, video going at double the speed of the audio etc.

In the long run, you are going to be much better off sticking with a proper DVD player like PowerDVD or WinDVD.

W

whoblitzell

Please see above about the box problem, yes I am still using WMP.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
I know that when watching SVCDs, there is a 9 tile square box that appears in the top left corner, that is normal.

I have never seen one that hops about the screen though, that is definitely very strange.........

Maybe you are both insane? :D lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.