GIMP Question. Yes I'm a noob! xD

Lizidian

Reaction score
OK... Sorry about the odd title, but I have a burning question before I dive into the wonderful world of gimp... I downloaded these renders... and I'm trying to combine them, but I'm not sure how you tell GIMP to make the backgrounds of the different layers transparent...

Any help is appreciated!

-Lizidian

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
" Layer - colour to alpha"

It will make that layer invisible.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
" Layer - colour to alpha"

It will make that layer invisible.

As in Filters->Color->Color to Alpha. That makes a selected color go to alpha (transparency).

If it's a complex backround you should try checking out my tutorial on cutting out images in GIMP using quickmask.

You could also use the select by color tool. It would leave a choppy edge though so you probably want to feather it a bit.

The paths tool can be used, but it takes some getting used to and isn't as fast or efficient as using quickmask.

V

Vector

Or, in the layer's window, right-click on the layer you want to make transparent and click on "Add Transparency," towards the bottom.

To delete a section of your layer and make it transparent, do the above step, then select the area you want to delete, then press control-k. :)

--Vector

Lizidian

Reaction score
Well.. Just realized my question was wrong in the first place... soooooo lol

I figured out my problem lol, not really sure how it happened but I managed to just pull the image out of the background... odd o.o

Anyway... I'm experimenting with GIMP, but the only thing I'm totally confused about is how people have all those crazy fonts, the only ones I have are the lame standard MS fonts. Are there programs that help you make some?

V

Vector

Googling "Free Fonts" and having a bit of a browse through the pages is a good way. :)

--Vector

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.