=Go, google's programming language.

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
Google launched it's own programming language.
They say it's very fast.
They demonstrate it in a 59 mins video where they compile a 6k lines code in .2 seconds.
They also explain how it works and how to use it. It's a mix of Charp, C++, Java, Delphi and Python. They take the best from each programming language and mix it in one language which should be awesome.
They say it's as fast as C to exec and as fast as Python to write.

I haven't tested it yet, but the main site, if you want to learn more info,
www.golang.org (Official site).
More info:
Info
Video

I personnaly, support google in all what they do. I use Google Chrome for a browser and I censored yahoo from my sites. Go, google!

O m g 1000th POST!

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
This has already been posed (on the front page actually). I still say this is going to be a very cool language.

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
Oh, didn't know.

Well, here's a thread to talk about it ;).

It's going to be awesome, done with what the people want in it.

Tru_Power22

Reaction score
Eh, I still much prefer python or C syntax.

Declaring variables seems backwards.

Code:
var apples [10]int;

What the hell?

(Declares a variable called apples as an integer array in case anyone was wondering).

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Go variables are kinda weird. :nuts:
I'll stick with C/C# for now.

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
The language seems interesting, especially the server loop.
But how effective is this?

Is this like event based like waiting till a package arrives, or is it continuously looping, waiting for a variable to be filled?

Looping takes a lot of the CPU, but if it's waiting for events such as incoming packages then this is the way to go. C# or C++ have bad support for this and I agree with them, if this really is the NextGen language it won't be bad to learn this.

I also agree about the variable type casting, in PHP / JavaScript this is very annoying.

And how about output of integers / strings? Does the compiler automatically convert integers to strings, and vice verca.

Overall, this seems like a powerful language although looping and arrays seems quite boring. They could have updated that. Take a look at lua for example. The table (array) in lua and table looping are quite powerful, flexible but again typecasting is a pain. If they really took the best out of every language, they surely forgot about this one.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Eh, I still much prefer python or C syntax.

Declaring variables seems backwards.

Are you suggesting python variables are normal? They don't define types or array sizes at all.

Code:
var apples [10]int;

What the hell?

(Declares a variable called apples as an integer array in case anyone was wondering).

Declare a variable -> var

called apples -> apples

as an integer array -> [10]int

It may be strange, but Google is known for liking to change precedents.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
> C# or C++ have bad support for this

C# is completely event based.

Also, I really don't like this language. I don't know why, it just seem really, really unoriginal. Yeah, it might be fast, but what does it have than that? A mix of C#, C++ and Python? Woohoo.

Oh yeah - just a question - can this language only be used for console apps or also WinForms?

Plus I don't like editing in notepad :p

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
there are a few good I like about it

1. pointers but no arithmetic on them - helps prevent you from going somewhere you dident intend to
2. garbage collection - no more leak worries
3. it's supposedly fast - I dont know how fast it is compared to C++ yet tho, but if it is close I would be happy

hopefully google comes out with an IDE or something soon (link plz if they already do)

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
JASS:
var apples [10]int;

Makes perfect sense to me.

Make a Variable named "Apples", it needs to be any array, and there should be ten slots. (It's an integer array, by the way.)

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
variable apples is an array of integers,

not very confusing and makes declaring multiples of the same sort easy as he pointed out in the video.

var apples, oranges, bananas [10]int;

Don't know if I did that correctly but something like it, he showed it with pointers.

Anyways, the language seems ok, but I'll stick with C++ 'til people start taunting me for still using it. Don't really care about the compilation speed, with good abstraction and make a C++ project can be (re)compiled rather fast. Havn't really made anything real big yet though.

//==GooS

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some features are cool, like the speed, compiling and garbage collection, however I am not too keen on the actual syntax. I guess I will give it a try, but I don't expect to like it that much.

Tru_Power22

Reaction score
var apples, oranges, bananas [10]int;

That is not a good programming practice. It's easier to read variables if there is one per line.

The only thing that is nice about the language is speed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.