Good map protector?

Parsival

Reaction score
Hi. What do you use for protecting your maps? Does it still work fine?
I'm using original World Editor version and I need to protect my map from opening by other mappers.

Thanks!

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
There was a very simple method, where you would just add a blank .txt document and rename to replace on of the map's files/registries or whatever its called.

I think it was .mpq or something like that, I can find out.
Basically stopped simple hackers from getting into your map by making it unopenable. However! If a reasonably good decrypter is used, or anything that can open the Import Manager without opening the map, then there is a problem. If they remove it they can edit your map etc.

Then again, if a hacker wants to edit your map. They will edit your map. They will always find a way around all protections.

I believe that one of the protecting programs does hide trigger/editor comments/suffixes. Making it harder for a hacked/decrypted version to be used.

Best thing to do is constantly update and release new versions of your maps. That way people will notice if there is any 'fake' versions or anything like that.

Goodluck.

Parsival

Reaction score
add a blank .txt document and rename to replace on of the map's files/registries or whatever its called.
So I need to import a blank .txt file by Import Manager and replace it with what? Which file?

hide trigger/editor comments/suffixes
Yeah. I think Vexorian's protector does it. It's something about GUI files.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Sorry to repost here.
To clarify, in-case somebody searches this.

The .txt method i mentioned is the following:
Create a blank Text Document and name it "war3map.wtg"
It will defaultly come as "war3map.wtg.txt"
This is fine. Just import the file and view the Import Editor (F12). It should show as: "war3mapImported\war3map.wtg.txt"
Double Click on the .txt document and Click on "Use custom path" (Alt+U)
Change that value to "war3map.wtg"
Save your map and close w3 editor.

If you try open that, it shall complain there is missing files or data.
This is because it has 'replaced' something needed to re-edit the file. (not really replaced, but just something of the same file name)

Note this is not the best way to protect a map, but imo a very simple and quick one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.