Google is being criticized because of this "religious bug"

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Two reasons:

1. Because the source is NSFW (Has NSFW ads), I only took the images and the content of the article.
2. And since I can't link you guys to that source (due to above), this thread isn't a news article, rather, it's a normal discussion thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Google has been accused of spinelessly censoring its search results to appease the religion of peace, as typing “Islam is” will yield no results, as compared to a wide variety of frequently disparaging results for other, more warlike religions.

Such autosuggestions are thought to be automatically generated, but subject to the utopian “Google filter” which ensures troublesome words Google would rather not acknowledge the existence of, such as “penis” or “rape,” are excluded, in what is probably the same mindset which ensures that Google News carries no “crime” section.

Such results as are allowed are often taken as zeitgeist-like indications of the dubious things users search for.

Google for its part claims this is a bug, though evidently one they are none too concerned about fixing as it has been known about for some time now.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Works as designed...

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with that? They're just preventing the spread of negativity and hate. So what if they don't have a crime section, flipping on any news channel is depressing enough as it is, that's really not what I want from my Internet news.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Hmm. This problem extends to other areas as well.

Of course, this particular example leads to mixed responses.

Attachments

• Google.JPG
    Google.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 261

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can use that javascript hack to make anything on google search results like in the thing above, or you can type something in and then change it on the search results screen.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It's still funny though. Or, easier, you can just take the HTML from it and past it into Dreamweaver or something and change the scripting a bit.

And are you talking about this one?

javascript:document.body.contentEditable='true'; document.designMode='on'; void 0

I think that's the right one. Not really a hack though.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Fake results are fake.
I could code that in about 5 minutes (provided I know exactly how Google does the drop-down suggestions.).

Edit:
Well, in any case, I'm sure Google has tried to filter results like this, but that doesn't mean that it always works.

Varine

Reaction score
Fake results are fake.
I could code that in about 5 minutes (provided I know exactly how Google does the drop-down suggestions.).

Edit:
Well, in any case, I'm sure Google has tried to filter results like this, but that doesn't mean that it always works.

Well, I could hack into your bank database and steal your money (provided I know exactly how your bank does security measures).

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Doesn't like Muhammad either. Try "muhammad is ".

There are so many possible keywords.

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
Search "Tiananmen Square" on U.S. google and chinese google (google.cn). Keep in mind, Google has only about 17% of the market for search engines in China. The Chinese search engine "Baidu" has about 80% of the market. Same search with translated Baidu for better results :thup:.

Yahoo's Babelfish can do full webpage translations if needed

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
2w656ap.jpg

Google always gives the most awesome suggestions.

Varine

Reaction score
I hope you get sexually violated by a pterodactyl tonight.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
2w656ap.jpg

Google always gives the most awesome suggestions.

I love how, out of all of those results, only 2 were regular questions.

And they were the last two :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.