grammatical error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
okay, this is a bit nitpicky of me, but...

when you roll over someone who has 75-100 rep (me at the time of this post) it says "<name> is starting to make their name known" I could be wrong, but it seems like it should be "make his/her name known"

Am I crazy?

Knocksious

Reaction score
what's the rule then?

I assumed his/her was singular, and their was plural

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
The rule is that every post costs you $20 USD, sent to Seth Edgar Cross at 666 Corruption Road, Visigoth, NJ 06630.

Now, that rule aside, "their" is a simple way to say "his" or "her" without implying gender.

Knocksious

Reaction score
4. Singular: his, hers, its. Plural: their

wrong: The U of O recently toughened their rules on cheating.

right: The U of O recently toughened its rules on cheating.

wrong: Each student should complete their homework.

right: Each student should complete his or her homework.

right: All students should complete their homework.

Anything wrong here? -

* When a student gets an A in J203, they feel a warm tingle all over.
* Skimming Psychology Today, it looks like they're preoccupied with sex.

[Personal note: there is some authority for allowing what might be called the "singular their" in cases where doing so avoids sexist language, as in avoiding what has been called the sexist "he," "him," or "his" (example: "An airline pilot needs to have his eyes checked periodically"). While repeating "his or her" or "he or she" over and over can admittedly become tedious at some point, I prefer to avoid sexist language by means other than employing the "singular their," which to my ear is painfully awkward.]

source

so I guess there is some wiggle room, but generally, His or Her is "better"

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Wiggle room... I like that.

Better? More proper, perhaps. Not better if you don't want to imply gender, however. And we don't. I don't know you. You don't know me. Neither of us can imply gender, age, race or anything else about one another. Thus. "Their" is used to replace "him" and/or "her".

It's simple. It's easy. It's quick. It's not going to change :)

Knocksious

Reaction score
oh oh oh!
just had a thought (sorry to take that "last word feel" away from your last post)

I'm not saying that using "his" is more proper. I am talking about using "his or her" as in "Knocksious is making his or her name known"

just making sure I am not misunderstood

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
No, cuz it's an epicene so it's acceptable.

Contrary to what some people apparently believe -- that as soon as speakers deviate in the slightest degree from the prescriptive rules inculcated in schools, the English language then begins to spontaneously degenerate into a chaos of incoherent mumbles -- there are actually clearly-defined patterns in the use of singular "their" etc. Such plural pronouns can only be used with a morphologically and syntactically singular antecedent when what it refers to is semantically collective and/or generic and/or indefinite and/or unknown.

Source: http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/austheir.html#X1aii

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Technically, Knocksious, you are correct. In proper English, his or her would be the correct syntax. However, it is becoming more and more acceptable to use "their" in these circumstances. In other words, it is closer to the acceptable norm even in the grammar world.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score

Knocksious

Reaction score
all I know is that if I wrote that sentence, and turned it in, there would be a red underline through it and a note on the side of the paper

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Check it out man

http://www.bartleby.com/64/C005/018.html

I looked it up before I wrote it. I thought it sounded wierd too but I knew it was right and I did not want to go on using his or her which really sounded bad :D

I am surprised the thing is not full of errors but I guess that is because the other Admins have cleaned it up since I did it probably drunk :rolleyes:

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> I thought it sounded wierd too but I knew it was right and I did not want to go on using his or her which really sounded bad

I still think it is technically wrong but I suppose it's acceptable in informal speech. (Don't get me wrong. I use "their" when I talk. :p )

> I am surprised the thing is not full of errors but I guess that is because the other Admins have cleaned it up since I did it probably drunk

Now, what kind of message does that send to the young members of the site? :p

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I was of legal age when I did that thank you. TheHelper.net does not advocate underage drinking :D

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> I was of legal age when I did that thank you. TheHelper.net does not advocate underage drinking

No, no. I didn't mean you were underage. :p I just meant the general principle....

My off-topic sensors are going off. Better stop here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.