Graphics card causing PC to not boot

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
When my current card decided to die on me, I went and grabbed an older card I had lying around to use until I could afford a new one. When I install this new card though, the boot-up fails completely. It just resets itself just about when it gets to the Windows (XP) loading screen.

Now, I know this card works 100%, as I just used it the other day in another computer, but I have no idea what the problem could be. All the connections are right, the motherboard should support it, and it doesn't need any special cables to use (like my old one did, for power).

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

The old (dead) card was a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (AGP), and the working card I'm trying to install is a NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
just wondering, how did you determine that it was the graphics card that died and not something else/more then just that?

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
The built-in card (the one my motherboard comes with) works fine, and when it's been dying for some time now. It's an old card that had a habit of overheating, and not wanting to work.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my Radeon when I was installing my new comp.
Had to open in safe mode and download the latest driver update from the internet (instead of the cd) and install. It worked afterwards.

Not sure if it's the same case as yours. Good luck man.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.