Crime Hackers Assault Epilepsy Patients via Computer

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Internet griefers descended on an epilepsy support message board last weekend and used JavaScript code and flashing computer animation to trigger migraine headaches and seizures in some users.

The nonprofit Epilepsy Foundation, which runs the forum, briefly closed the site Sunday to purge the offending messages and to boost security.

"We are seeing people affected," says Ken Lowenberg, senior director of web and print publishing at the Epilepsy Foundation. "It's fortunately only a handful. It's possible that people are just not reporting yet -- people affected by it may not be coming back to the forum so fast."

The incident, possibly the first computer attack to inflict physical harm on the victims, began Saturday, March 22, when attackers used a script to post hundreds of messages embedded with flashing animated gifs.

Read more about the attacks here.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
Thats new ... I'm sorry for the victims, but they might consider more strict control over javascript. I'm thinking a user script that blocks out animations, coupled with an aggressive pop up and browser redirect blocker.

I doubt this will be the last attack, now that the idea is out ...

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Wow, thats just lame. Good game guys, thats not funny in the least bit.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Didn't an episode of Pokemon do this in Japan once? Accidentally of course.

As for the hackers, they can't do anything physically, so lets use the interwebs now!

EDIT: phyrex1an is right :p People that go on forums aren't hackers >_<

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
im sorry, but i couldn't help a smile.

the idea and thought is terrible, but its just soemthing so... i guess you can say original, that you can't help but smile at least.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
im sorry, but i couldn't help a smile.

the idea and thought is terrible, but its just soemthing so... i guess you can say original, that you can't help but smile at least.

I feel bad too because it is funny.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.