HDTV+8800GT+Cables

Reaction score
Ok so I need help with this. I am soon to buy an HDTV in the next week or 2 with money from my job. I needed help with the cables and if they would work with my PNY 8800GT 512mb video card and the HDTV im about to buy.

Please review over them and tell me if all three are compatible.

HDTV:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3481130&sku=V18-2220

Cable to hook video card and TV together:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3012965&sku=ULT40077

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133232&Tpk=8800GT

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Yes they will work together.

As for high-definition videos: they should work, as long as the OS recognizes your card as HDCP-capable, which have been a known glitch in the past (driver). If you're not watching Bluray/HD-DVD, it's a non-issue. So, using the most recent drivers should work fine.

Reaction score
Yeah Thanks. Im not watching blu ray or anything but im putting it in my bedroom for a PC monitor, TV, and for my 360. So yeah im at $200 dollars now. just $220 more to go!

Also will the HDMI to DVI cable be the best for high definition on my PC or is that top notch compared to the 3 HD wires and s-video.

Also. Which one is better.

Samsung
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3977545&CatId=3648

or

Viewsonic
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3481130&sku=V18-2220

enouwee

Reaction score
Also will the HDMI to DVI cable be the best for high definition on my PC or is that top notch compared to the 3 HD wires and s-video.

Component and HDMI cables will give you similar picture quality, given the ridiculously small screen size. But HDMI will get you a better/sharper picture at 50+"/103". A bigger advantage may be the single-cable connector for both audio and video. On the downside, it's expensive, especially for longer cables.

As for S-Video: consider it history.

Both are cheap. Expect to get what you pay for.

Some time ago, I was planning to buy a 22"/23" Toshiba TV, but only its smaller 20" model was available and I compared the video and build quality to 23" from Samsung and Philips. I took the Philips home, althou it was about double the price of the others.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Greater price means the item is over priced or its very good quality.
Look@Reviews.

enouwee

Reaction score
Greater price means the item is over priced or its very good quality.
Look@Reviews.

You mean one like this?

The best review is going to the shop and see for yourself. Between the 3 I saw, there was a clear winner, in both build and visual quality. If you buy cheap, you'll pay twice.

enouwee

Reaction score
So how do I get audio cables from my pc to the TV?
The easiest solution would be through the HDMI cable, but that'd require you to buy a video card with HDMI output. Works fine here with an Intel G35. Given I'm not using it for fancy 3D stuff, it perfectly fits my needs (if only I had output on both speakers, but that's a different story).

Otherwise: separate cable(s), be it optical/copper SPDIF (if input/output available on both ends) or just plain mini-jack/coax.

enouwee

Reaction score
Maybe the most detailled review you'll be able to find (as always with Prad. Thou in german).

Unlike the two previous ones (remember "cheap"?) this one comes with DVI-input, so you don't need your DVI->HDMI cable.

enouwee

Reaction score
This one has DVI-D. Is that the Same as DVI? And will I still get the same picture quality? The cable I would need would have to be a male/male DVI cables?

:rolleyes:

This is a digital screen, so it comes with digital input only. If only considering video, HDMI and DVI-D are exactly the same as they are pin-compatible. Anything else is up to the manufacturer.

Your video card has both analog and digital DVI pin-out because you can connect it to any kind of screen.

EDIT: The cable is exactly the same one you're already using (assuming you don't have an old LCD/CRT with D-SUB). See the Wikipedia pictures for pin layout.

enouwee

Reaction score
Im using a DVI to VGA converter. So I dont have a DVI cable.

You can either continue using that one, order your screen and hope that it comes with one or buy it later. And yes, DVI gives you a better image quality than D-SUB.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.